Logo

what model Mercury remote and how to replace trim switch

gatorsby7

what model Mercury control is this and how to I replace the trim switch? I have already removed the throttle-only button, removed the set-screw on the bottom of the handle and removed the rotator. I'm not sure how to proceed to remove the handle from the remote control unit.

Attachments

• mercury-remote-control-1.JPG
    mercury-remote-control-1.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 89
  • mercury-remote-control-3.JPG
    mercury-remote-control-3.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 112
I have the same control (part# 88688A25) and the same issue. Control works fine but the trim switch is broken. I found part number 4 in this diagram on marine engine.com which looks like the switch. Parts are ordered but I don’t have them in hand yet. I am guessing that I will need to pry off the plastic trim (part #5) to remove and replace the switch. Doesn’t look too difficult and no need to disassemble the control to run new wires as indicated in a previous post. Anyone have any first hand experience or words of wisdom?

Attachments

• 2CE900F0-4936-4C9A-A47B-FF153A2ED98D.jpg
    2CE900F0-4936-4C9A-A47B-FF153A2ED98D.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 208
  • 4D96959F-5251-4F2E-847C-0FABCFF0490D.jpeg
    4D96959F-5251-4F2E-847C-0FABCFF0490D.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 62
Hi:

Thanks for the reply. I got frustrated by the lack of information available to fix this problem and have engaged a mechanic to take the pain away. I will certainly take notes and pass them along to you. What I have found out is that you do have to pry open the control handle housing to get at where the new switch will plug in. I got hosed up by the spacer that accompanies the trim switch in the handle assembly and couldn't get it to fit back together. Again I will keep you posted.

Thanks...Bob Brogan

I was hoping it would be an easy procedure. I ordered the switch and an extra trim ring, but not the spacer you mentioned. I hope I can get it back together as I have plans to use the boat this weekend. I will check back in with my results. Parts are supposed to arrive this evening so I will try to install them in the next few days.

Well I have it a shot this evening. It seems as if the outer trim ring is glued on to the main handle piece. I had to break off the old trim ring. The switch came out after that with no problem. The wires connect with blade style connectors. I tried gluing the new trim ring on with epoxy to hold it in place. We will see how that holds up. Unfortunately at this point I don’t think I would advise trying to repair one of these.

This may not apply to your situation, but... on my small boat, I chose to put the engine tilt/trim in the middle of my trim tab switches. IOW, from left to right, I have three buttons on my dash - left trim tab, engine trim, right trim tab. When I press all three down, I'm set for maximum hole shot. From there, I can adjust the engine trim and trim tabs all from the same general location. My throttle is just for shifting and giving the engine gas.

Back