Logo

Evinrude 7.5 hp, 1981 Model E8RCIC

rebranger

This motor suffered from being left sitting for a couple of years, usual problems, bad gas, bad fuel lines, tank nasty. AFter cleaning it up, removing carb, new fuel lines, new gas, new plugs, cleaning tank good, new water pump, etc. I got it running fine; BUT it won't STAY running. Cranks up on 2nd pull, runs for 3 minutes at 2000 rpm & higher, even under load, then acts like it's starving for fuel. Clear gas line shows gas, no air bubbles, bulb hard, i.e., carb bowl full. But it CUTS OFF. Restarts fine, then runs another 3 minutes & stop.
HELP PLEASE! I'm at my wits end.. CDI pack & Coils not hot. WHAT COULD IT BE????:confused:

What happens when you operate the manual fuel pump ?------Tried test running with a " known to be good " tank and hose ?

Leeroys ramblings has alot of good info on your motor, i agree you have a fuel issuer either the pump needs rebuilt/replaced or a leak in the fuel line post fuel pump.

Leeroys ramblings has alot of good info on your motor, i agree you have a fuel issuer either the pump needs rebuilt/replaced or a leak in the fuel line post fuel pump.
Tried it with several tanks /lines, it's getting fuel. Got to be either float sticking, has cork float, with some of the varnish/coating deteriorated. or the ignition

Even have tanks elevated above carb. Agree fuel pump may be weak, where can one buy a kit? Site only shows cover gasket?? Or entire pump.not gonna buy whole pump

Just install a new diaphragm in the pump.------Yes that part is available.-----Many dealers have it in stock.----I have some !

Is there a write up or video on how to rebuild the fuel pump? Have the kit, don't know what order the new gaskets go in. Is big spring first, then diaphragm?? Next plastic body, there's a gasket on each side of it. I.e., is there a gasket on top of the first one, the diaphragm? 0393088.jpg

Leeroys ramblings has the instructions for that pump. Thereare four different configurations depending on the direction of the hose nipples. There is alot of good info at leeroys for your motor.

Thanks! Got it rebuilt & it pumps! 1st time, thanks to your tip on Leroy's Ramblings!! I couldn't have done it without Leroys explanation on How to rebuild a Fuel Pump!! WOnder if there is a You Tube Video on it?

Back