Logo

Fireboy M-2A fume detector

realcaptron

Regular Contributor
Hi, I almost hate to bring this topic up, but since we're all friends......Does anyone out there have personal experience with one of these Fireboy M-2A gas fume detectors?
My boat has one installed with one sensor below located between the motors and above the twin 8D batteries (both in an enclosed box). When I bought the boat, the fuse for the detector was removed. After putting the fuse back in, the unit powers up and appears to work ok...but.....it occasionally alarms while underway. When it does and I inspect and sniff below, there is no fuel anywhere and no odor evident at all. If I silence the alarm after it goes off once, it seems to quiet down and not alarm again during that excursion. One time, however, when I arrived at the boat for the day and opened the cabin, the alarm was activated and chirping. I was concerned of course but I lifted the hatches and there was no odor at all.
Wondering if anyone else has this unit installed and if you are getting nuissance alarms as well? Makes me wonder if the previous owner pulled the fuse because he was tired of the false alarms?

The M-2A manual says you should not put the sensor near or above the batteries as they produce hydrogen gas and can cause "nuisance alarms".

I just replaced my Xintex/Fireboy M1 with a Marine Technologies unit. The Xintex would false alarm every time it rained even though the boat was sitting in the slip with no sign of fumes. Replaced the sensor and same issue. Xintex would not return emails so I gave up. I tried 3 different locations in the engine room as well. The problem with the Xintex is that when it alarms the alarm continues to "beep" until the reset button on the unit is pushed. I got tired of calls from dock neighbors telling me my boat was "beeping". Hated having to drive 20 minutes to the bait to shut off the alarm at 10 o'clock. Never any sign of fumes over 4-5 years.

I just replaced my Xintex/Fireboy M1 with a Marine Technologies unit. The Xintex would false alarm every time it rained even though the boat was sitting in the slip with no sign of fumes. Replaced the sensor and same issue. Xintex would not return emails so I gave up. I tried 3 different locations in the engine room as well. The problem with the Xintex is that when it alarms the alarm continues to "beep" until the reset button on the unit is pushed. I got tired of calls from dock neighbors telling me my boat was "beeping". Hated having to drive 20 minutes to the bait to shut off the alarm at 10 o'clock. Never any sign of fumes over 4-5 years.

Hottoddie....thanks for that feedback. Yes, one time I arrived At the boat to hear the alarm chrpubg and no fumes evident. I like having the fume detector on board for obvious safety reasons, so I just installed a switch on the power to the detector so that when I am leavinfvthe boat I can shut it down til my next visit. I always check and sniff below anyway

Back