Logo

Thunderbolt ignition module

F

Frank Kadi

" Is there a way to check this

" Is there a way to check this module, via light test, ohm readout...to see if it is really bad?

Have 12V at coil and red/white terminal on distributer...no spark. Removed green/white wire and shorted to gound, still no spark. Changed coil, no spark. Book says to replace module. "

My thunderbolt ignition module

My thunderbolt ignition module (350 MAG dist. mounted) if moved back and forth will stall the engine and it will not restart. I've cleaned it many times but after working once or twice it again stalls the engine. Should I replace it? or get a whole new Mallery ignition system .? Dist coil & wires $ 300.00 ?? thanks

Maybe the module or maybe the

Maybe the module or maybe the connect wiring plug. All I can say is that I had a 7.4 w/Thunderbolt igniiton. The wires within the black plug had a faulty conneciton and caused other probelms. In your case it may be similar causing a short to stop the engine. Best of Luck

"Knocking on wood, mine haven&

"Knocking on wood, mine haven't acted up since they were installed. Do have a pair of spare but will likely get DELCO EST systems to replace the TB-IV. whole system for about the cost of the module."

"Yes,Makomark I'll keeptha

"Yes,Makomark I'll keepthat in mind. Try Partman.com They offer a Mallory disy + coil + wires for $319. How much for the Delco EST you are thinking about , and where ? Captn. Jack"

My Clymer book says to use spe

My Clymer book says to use special heat reducing grease between the module and disy. How sensitive is the module to heat? The boat runs great and starts easy when cold. When hot and I turn it off. It will not restart untill it cools down.???

"The delco est is $300 at ebas

"The delco est is $300 at ebasicpower.com. I would think Andrew, this site's overseer, could get them but I couldn't find them doing a quick search.

The TB-V modules are heat sensitive. You can get the grease at any electronic's shop. Used to be able to get it at radio shack. It is a thermally conductive grease. Tell them you need it for a heat sink installation with electronics."

Back