Logo

Alarm on twin 2004 115hp 4 stroke

Tailspotter

Ok...Just purchased this boat and first 2 times out were great. Went out this weekend and went to go on plane and at 4k rpms.started hearing alarm sound. No indication from the gages what it was. did not feel any problems with the motor. New to Yamahas so this "alarm" did not sound loud enough to be the motor but what else could it be? Sound is definitely coming from under the helm and only when I get up to 4k and beyond.
Just one long continuous alarm until I get back down past 4K?? I tried running just one motor at a time to see if I could find out which motor it was but could not get alarm to go on?? Like I said I just bought this boat so I am hoping (probably a dream) that this is some easy fix...Help anyone!! Thanks!!

First, I'd highly recommend getting a model/year engine specific service manual. If you reply back with complete model number there's a chance i can locate one online that you can download for free.

In general, Yams have 2 alarms: low oil and high temp. Whether you have the classic round or newer square gauges, the alarm that has been triggered is indicated on the gauge. High temp alarm immediately triggers the engine into "limp" mode, which is an automatic reduction of rpms below 2k. Low oil alarm has 2 stages: warning and alert. Warning means you can continue to run engine at any rpms; Alert means the oil level is dangerously low and thus the engine automatically reduces rpms below 2k (limp mode).

Since you saw no indications on the gauge as to which alarm has been triggered, this would imply either a faulty temp or oil sensor, or faulty signal (electrical bug). I would test sensors for both alarm systems to ensure proper function. Then test circuitry for alarm systems.

Thanks for the reply...I hope it's just a faulty sensor. Model # 2003 F115TXRC AND LF115TXRC.

And this "alarm" is not very loud. I have heard engine alarms from Evinrudes and Mercury's and they make you stop. I actually thought it was the noise that braided line makes when you are cruising.

Thanks Classic. Talked to my mechanic (first time I am using him) and he said it was the main shaft bushings so he has to drop the lower units of both motors and replace the bushings and the sound was coming from the engines and not an alarm at all. Well I clearly heard the noise coming from under the helm. The helm and the engines are 8 feet apart. I don't want to be one of those guys but I know where the noise was coming from and it was not the motors. I need to go for a ride with him and let him sit next to the helm access door.

Thanks Classic. Talked to my mechanic (first time I am using him) and he said it was the main shaft bushings so he has to drop the lower units of both motors and replace the bushings and the sound was coming from the engines and not an alarm at all. Well I clearly heard the noise coming from under the helm. The helm and the engines are 8 feet apart. I don't want to be one of those guys but I know where the noise was coming from and it was not the motors. I need to go for a ride with him and let him sit next to the helm access door.

Are you saying this mechanic determined the cause of the sound you're hearing from under the helm without having heard it himself? If so, I'd pass on his service. I'd also suggest you register on the web forum yamahaoutboardparts.com

Start a new thread providing model/year of engine and the description of issue. While this forum here is useful, the above mentioned forum has a number of members that will provide you with more accurate advice and perhaps even the solution. A few members are even master Yam mechanics. Good luck.

Are you saying this mechanic determined the cause of the sound you're hearing from under the helm without having heard it himself? If so, I'd pass on his service. I'd also suggest you register on the web forum yamahaoutboardparts.com

Start a new thread providing model/year of engine and the description of issue. While this forum here is useful, the above mentioned forum has a number of members that will provide you with more accurate advice and perhaps even the solution. A few members are even master Yam mechanics. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice!!

Back