Logo

Cables out of adjustment?

Dsmrossi

I’m having an issue getting my 115 into forward gear. It goes into revers as SOON as I begin moving the lever back, and when I go full forward, I’m short about 1/8” of travel in the cable to get the motor to engage FWD.

My adjuster has ZERO threads left to pull the cable towards FWD, it’s maxed as far as it will go. I’m thinking the cable may be stretched?

You cannot just adjust the shift rod there is a certain measurement it needs to be at. I only mention it because it could be a problem if the lower unit was serviced recently. Or if the lower unit was was drained was the wrong screw taken out. Or it could be as simple as the shift cable is stretched.

Do you know how old the impeller is? If not pull the gearbox and check the lower shift rod height thenchange the impeller so you have a reference point. The impeller should be changed at least every other year. Then if you still have the cable adjustment issue replace the cable.

On some motors when the lower unit is off it is a fine opportunity to check shift rod height and make adjustment if needed.

Back