Logo

impeller

tomnf

If I hook the water muffs to my merc outdrive and it circulates and cools the engine, does that indicate the impeller is OK and pumping water, or does the pressure of the water hose bypass the impeller?
Thanks in advance,

If you hook the hose up, turn the water on and look to see how much is splashing out from the cups, then start the motor and confirm the splash disappears then your pumping and circulating. If the pumps impeller has failed you could be just pushing water past the impeller and force feeding the motor with the water pressure.

Yes, I guess you are so correct, I'll just go with a new one and stop fretting about it
thanks,

Ayuh,.... It's an every other year chore,......

Buy the full kit,... If ya need the housin's, ya got 'em,....
If ya don't this time,... ya still got 'em for when ya do,......

I hate "Waitin' " for parts,....

I'm having the local service shop do the impeller because I need outdrive work at the same time (G-bearing). Anyways, their policy is to change the impeller and the thermostat same time. Might be a good idea - not sure what the experts say. Also I'm a little concerned on how I can change the impeller with 4-5 inches of [bulkhead] clearance. I guess you just give yourself plenty of time and get some bandaids.

raw water impeller is in the lower unit
.... if an Alpha Drive or older and then the boat needs hauled... If Bravo drive, raw water pump on front of engine and doable from inside boat .
Appropriate info at first post helps :)

Last edited:
Back