Logo

Mercruiser 5.0L MPI engine stalls when throttling down

troman9

So, I brought my boat to my mechanic for a routine service, and an intermittent problem cropped up that they are having difficulty troubleshooting. I am hoping someone has seen this before.

Here is what is happening:

The engine is a 2006 Mercruiser 5.0L MPI. The engine starts fine, and idles fine. If they increase throttle everything works fine, and the boat can get on plane with no issues. Once off of plane, as they throttle down, the engine will stall. It fails as though there is a complete loss of power, that is, as if someone shut the engine off with the ignition key. This is very repeatable, and always seems to happen in the vicinity of 1500 RPM. It seems to run fine at 1400 RPM and below, and 1600 RPM and above.

There are no fault codes. The mechanic has checked out all of the sensors and they seem fine. He suspected the wiring harness and that there was an intermittent disconnect based on engine vibration at 1500 RPM, but a new harness did not fix the problem. Most of the electrical components (distr cap, rotor, cam sensor, spark plugs and wires) have been replaced.

Some recent history that may or may not be relevant: the engine overheated in 2015 due to clogged manifolds. After that the boat seemed to be sluggish getting on plane. In 2017, the engine had a severe loss of power (no ability to get on plane). This tuned out to be a partially melted crank position sensor that was attributed to the overheat condition 2 years prior. During the troubleshooting process it was discovered that the engine heads had warped and they were machined. After these repairs, the boat seemed to perform better than ever during a trip last February.

The mechanics have ruled out a whole lot of things besides what I mentioned above, so we are heading into checking some of the more expensive parts like the MPI computer. I am hoping someone has run into this and knows what the root cause is. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Unless they are complete noobs at fuel injection, this is classic symptom of failed idle air bypass, easily diagnosed and the part to fix is $40.

Unless they are complete noobs at fuel injection, this is classic symptom of failed idle air bypass, easily diagnosed and the part to fix is $40.

Stalls @1500RPM....The IAC does not come into play at that RPM. My guess would be the ignition Coil with a possible RF leak resetting the ecm and shutting the engine down.

Find a ignition coil to test with.

Yeah the IAC was checked and it's OK.

Interesting thought about the coil. Resetting the ECM would do this, for sure. Why an RF leak at a specific RPM though? I'll pass this along to the mechanic, I'm pretty sure they haven't checked the coil.

Last edited:
Yeah the IAC was checked and it's OK.

Interesting thought about the coil. Resetting the ECM would do this, for sure. Why an RF leak at a specific RPM though? I'll pass this along to the mechanic, I'm pretty sure they haven't checked the coil.
It will do it at just above idle down to idle. Sometimes it will beep the alarm and stall or just shut off the engine.

Mechanic says he's already tried replacing the coil. There's not much else he can think of, besides the ECM. I'm hoping he's missed something since I assume the ECM is $$$$$$$.

Well, Hard to diagnose this on a web page. I would drive the boat with CDS hooked to the engine along with a fuel pressure gauge. I would be looking at Power 1 and power 2(if available) along with Fuel pressure and recreate the condition.

Stop looking for unicorns and focus on the horses. Go back to the beginning and start with the basics. Vacuum leaks, bad adjustments, bad wiring connections. Sometimes when stuff gets replaced, it doesn't get set up 100 percent correctly. A screw doesn't get tightened, a hose is left off....
I dunno. Not an expert like Chris, but maybe a fresh set of eyes on it?

OK it looks like the engine is fixed, so here is the update. It was not the ECM after all. Turns out the harness was damaged, and it in turn damaged the IAC.

The mechanic had replaced the IAC early on, and that didn't seem to fix the problem. After replacing the harness,the problem became more repeatable. Ultimately his troubleshooting led him back to the IAC. He swapped out the IAC again with a used, but known good one, and the engine ran fine after that. He believes that the damaged harness caused the original and the replacement IACs to burn out. A brand new IAC was once again installed and the engine was thoroughly tested on and off the water. He showed me "pinch marks" on the harness wires that could have been caused by mishandling when the heads were removed last year. I suppose its also possible the wire insulation melted some when the boat overheated back in 2015. Either way some sort of intermittent short seems to have caused this. The IAC failed in a non-typical way, that caused problems at 1500 RPM vs 600 RPM, otherwise this might have been a lot easier to diagnose.

Thanks Chris and o2batsea for your suggestions. This was obviously a weird situation and not likely to get solved from long distance.

Any time. In the future, those guys should learn to use a multimeter. A 5 minute test for correct voltage at the sensor would have saved you a bunch of time/money.

Back