Logo

2006 8.5hp Honda Outboard. Cracked head gasket!

peregrintook

Hey folks,

Hoping you can help me here as I am not experienced with engines or how to fix them.

I bought a boat a little while ago and it has an 06' 8.5hp honda outboard on the back. It took many cranks to get it going and then it would die easily if idled too low, it did better once it was warmed up and with recurrent use. However, its not reliable enough to be used in the confined quarters of our marina and is a point of stress out on the water. I figured it just had badly wintered fuel in the carb.

Anyhow, I gave it to the honda service center and they told me that it has a cracked head gasket and that there isn't much they can do... salt buildup, water in the cylinders--the works. I figure part of it is that they aren't willing (rightfully so) to put in labor for an engine worth less than the labor involved. Now if I'm willing to get my hands dirty and spend a saturday cursing man and machine, is there anything I can do? Is it possible to clean out all the salt and then seal up the cracks with some available formulas...or is that snake oil at this point? I'd love to avoid dishing a couple grand on a new motor as this was a fairly thrifty boat purchase.

Help will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Back