Logo

help please mercruiser 357 alpha 4v repair

stepheng

hello i have a 357 alpha 4v mercruiser unfortunately my block cracked over the winter do to improper winterization i want to pull the engine and replace the block myself could i use a Chevy 350 block to do this and would i need to bore it out? Block cast number 10243880 S/N g400963

The 357 is a re manufactured 350 so yes you can use a 350. During reman process block is bored .040" to clean up the cylinder walls for new pistons. If you find a 350 block only would need boring if wear dictates it's required, a machine shop can tell you based on block inspection and measurements. You won't miss 7 cubic inches so only bore the block if required to rebuild. Alternatively you can get a new marine 5.7 base engine including heads for like $3k swap over your externals and accessories , reman shortblocks are even cheaper assuming nothing like heads, intake and exhaust cracked.

The 357 is a re manufactured 350 so yes you can use a 350. During reman process block is bored .040" to clean up the cylinder walls for new pistons. If you find a 350 block only would need boring if wear dictates it's required, a machine shop can tell you based on block inspection and measurements. You won't miss 7 cubic inches so only bore the block if required to rebuild. Alternatively you can get a new marine 5.7 base engine including heads for like $3k swap over your externals and accessories , reman shortblocks are even cheaper assuming nothing like heads, intake and exhaust cracked.
thank you for your help cant wait to get my baby up and running again. ill be back with questions if i run into anymore problems :D

Back