Logo

DF250 Lower Unit Won't Drop

krocks

All - I'm dropping in from another forum on recommendation for some help with my DF250.

The lower unit hasn't been dropped in 4+ years from what I can tell. I have tried multiple times to no avail. I get it to about 1/4-1/2" all the way around, but can't seem to get it much more than that.

From what I understand, the driveshaft has seized to the driven gear holder. I have soaked that area with PB Blaster for days, and applied heat with a torch as much as I can without melting anything important around it. Still no luck.

I have hammered wedges, and tried prying with multiple crowbars simultaneously. Just not having any luck.

I'm posting here for any last ditch advice before bringing in to the mechanic to have the driveshaft cut, powerhead removed, driven gear assembly replaced and LU rebuilt with new driveshaft. I appreciate any help you all can give!

I'm posting here for any last ditch advice before bringing in to the mechanic to have the driveshaft cut, powerhead removed, driven gear assembly replaced and LU rebuilt with new driveshaft. I appreciate any help you all can give!

did you figure it out? was it something simple or did you cut it off and get rebuilt?

Back