Logo

5deg. gear up-date

Grayhound

I know back sometime in the 80's model years OMC had a problem with their gears in the stern drives. The fix was to change them to 5deg. gears, this was a free fix, when the fix was complete a sticker was put on the cover for the flame arrester indicating the up-date. Does anyone know what years this covered. I am looking at some boats in the 80's and the up-date stickers could be missing, would like to know what year the up-date was no longer needed. Thanks for any help.

I know back sometime in the 80's model years OMC had a problem with their gears in the stern drives. The fix was to change them to 5deg. gears, this was a free fix, when the fix was complete a sticker was put on the cover for the flame arrester indicating the up-date. Does anyone know what years this covered. I am looking at some boats in the 80's and the up-date stickers could be missing, would like to know what year the up-date was no longer needed. Thanks for any help.

I do not recall the when this campaign occurred. Try visiting Stuart Hastings web site.

FYI...... the 5 degree change was not made to the gears themselves...... it was an increased angle change to the Dog Clutch teeth (at both the two driven gears and at the sliding sleeve) to prevent them from disengaging so easily while under load.

OMC DC teeth angle change.jpg

Also, I would suggest that you educate yourself re; the OMC stern drives before you slap your money down.

Back