Logo

1999 35hp Johnson upper shift rod removal

TexasA&M

Howdy folks -

I've got a 1999 Johnson 35hp tiller steer that I'm in the process of changing from long shaft to short shaft. I've pulled the lower unit to swap out the drive shaft and shift rod, but I cannot for the lift of me find where the upper shift rod is connected under the cowling. I've looked through everything I can see, listened, and felt for movement, but I can't find where the linkage connects from the shifter and goes down to the lower unit.

Model number is J35TEL3EEM. Any help is appreciated! As soon as I get the shift linkage pulled, I've got to figure out how to remove the 5" extension housing, and then I can order new parts!

- Steve
[h=1][/h]

That was my next thought.... my concern is that the connecting end will rotate the wrong way and I won't be able to re-thread it. I assume, however, that it is the connector is fairly loose in there, so I should be able to rotate the motor around and get it in the right orientation.

The next question is how do I get the 5" extension off? I assumed it would basically fall off when I took the bolts out, but it's either glued really well, or it's pressed on to some kind of shaft/cylinder. I can't see any bolts holding it on, and I've gotten it to move just a bit, but I didn't want to really work on it until I got the shift rod out.

Also, does anyone know what the water pickup tube looks like in this motor? I'm curios to know how it connects to the extension and lower unit.

Thanks!!!

After you remove the 6 bolts there is one more wee bolt hidden inside at the back to remove to get that extension off.----Water gets to the powerhead via a hidden " cast in place " passageway in the exhaust housing.

Excellent. I looked all through it last night and didn't see any bolts, and I was actually able to get the back of the housing to move a bit when I whacked it with a rubber mallet. I'll give it a closer look when I get home and hopefully it will jump out at me.

Success! That last bolt dang near bit me when I looked for it this afternoon. Not sure why I couldn't see it last night, but that's what happens when you are working by flashlight.

I'm going to order the new shift rod and drive shaft and then cross my fingers that I can get the new shift rod up in there. The only concern is that there is a slight bend to it that may make it hard to get started. I'm able to unscrew the original (haven't removed it all the way yet, just confirmed that it would rotate all the way around), so once I take that one out, I may be up a creek without a paddle.....

Threading the new shift rod in is proving to be very difficult, if not impossible. The connector just flops around when trying to thread the bent rod (I expected it to, but was hoping to get lucky). I've been looking around at pictures and schematics, and I can't figure out how exactly this thing is put together. Even if I pulled the powerhead, I don't see any access to the shift rod because there aren't any holes in the exhaust housing except for the driveshaft. Am I looking at it wrong, or what exactly is going on?

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks!!

Nevermind.... I just found a picture that showed me what I want to see. The linkage is right there when the powerhead is removed. Now it looks like I have two options.... either keep hoping to get lucky, or pull the powerhead. :(

I'm afraid to even ask what all that entails.....

Update -

Pulling the powerhead was surprisingly easy... a dozen or so bolts and she popped right off. Didn't take anything off except for the lower cowl. I changed the shift rods out and am working to put it all back together. The question I have now is what to do about the gasket between the powerhead and the exhaust housing. Is the gasket absolutely necessary, or can RTV be used instead? I'd like to get it all back together today and not wait a week for a gasket.

Lemme know!

Do you know how far to screw the replacement shift rod into the fitting up top , yes or no ?----Did you measure it before you took the old one out ?

I didn't measure because I unthreaded it while it was all together. I did twist it tight, and it only went one turn, so that's how I put it all back together.

I finally got the gasket last Friday and had it all back together in about an hour. Turned the key she fired right up. I put her on the boat and away we went! Overall, not terribly involved... would have been a lot faster if the parts had been stocked locally.

Thanks for the help!

Back