Logo

Old Johnson impeller problems

Hi guys new to the forum here. A little about me, my name is Rick, I'm semi-retired, and I live in N. Idaho. I'm an avid Bass, Pike, and Muskie fisherman and own a small soft plastic bait company called Fish-N-Fool lures.
I was given an old Johnson 20 hp electric start outboard and with a little tinkering I got it running. It didn't have any water coming out a pee hole anywhere, so I got a new impeller for it as well as it needed a new starter solenoid. I replaced both of them and fired it up and still no water. I'm not sure where the pee hole is suppose to be on this, as it doesn't have an obvious hole anywhere that it comes out. Anybody know anything about these? Tnx for any help.

100_2050.jpg100_2055.jpg100_2053.jpg100_2051.jpg

I dont think it has a telltale when it is rinning do you get a spray of hot water out of the exhaust relief on the upper back of the leg? You should ne able to hold your hand on the head for a slow count to six after it has warmed up. Are you running it in a barrel of watr at least 5 inches above the cavitation plate?

Yes i had it in a barrel of water but not 5" above the plate it was only about 2" over. The exhaust relief, is it the hole in the back of the lower unit" Nothing comes out it, no water or exhaust that I could see.

Its about half way up the exhaust housing it normally comes out as a mist if your hand gets wet the water pump is working. You can also remove the thermostat and start it water should gush out the hole. You can test the thermostat just put a string in the valve and hang it in a pan of water. Put a meat thermometer next to it the theostat should fall off the string around 140 degrees.

It normally takes a few minutes to warm up keep an eye on the head temp if it gets too hot to touch shut it down. I would pull the thermostat on top of the head anyways for a new to me motor just to look for possible blockage. If there is alot of crud in there install a new thermostat and then run it in a barrel of water with saltaway for 1/2 hour or so that should clean the water circuits good.

That motor should discharge a heavy spray of water out that exhaust relief hole any time it is running. It is a spray, broken up but the exhaust. It is only a portion of the water/exhaust. Most goes out the underwater exhaust outlet.

Back