Logo

How to fix a fibreglass dinghy? Help!

I'm new to this forum, and I'm afraid I know nothing about boats, and I mean absolutely zero. Despite my lack of knowledge I've bought a fibreglass Dinghy type of boat, and quite frankly it's in a little bit of a mess. The transom wood has rotten, though the fibreglass in between is sort of in one piece, but very thin. there are a few holes around the top where the top joins the hull. I've bought some filler with fibreglass for the holes, and have wire brushed them down ready to fill. I don't want to put a wood transom back on, so was planning to use a thick perspex sandwiched together with polyeurethane foam in between to add some substance and strength to a very weak back end. Does this sound like it might work? It needs to be strong because I plan on putting a small outboard on it. I've searched the internet and this was an option that came up, but I'd like advice from people who actually know what they're doing. Thanks in advance.

This is what I'm working with after the wood is off.
WIT6.jpg

Last edited:
Ayuh,.... I can't believe there's enough strength in foamboard to support an outboard,.....

I'd use plywood, like it was originally,....

2X on the plywood being the most cost effective, especially if it was just a stiffener sitting in the 'pocket' of the transom shown in the picture.

If you want to eliminate the wood, the perspex isn't viable in my opinion....'polyurethane foam' is very broad; the correct versions would be suitable a cores if you want to fill the void with a laminate.....another approach would be to use an aluminum plate, stiffened as needed, as a surrogate for the wood....

Ayuh,.... I can't believe there's enough strength in foamboard to support an outboard,.....

I'd use plywood, like it was originally,....

Thanks. I wasn't planning to use just foam. It would have to have something else, ie Ply, Perspex, Aluminium etc. The plan was a piece inside, and a piece outside, bolted through, then filling the void with the same sort of foam that is used to fill the bouyancy chambers. No, I dond't expect foam alone to support an outboard.

2X on the plywood being the most cost effective, especially if it was just a stiffener sitting in the 'pocket' of the transom shown in the picture.

If you want to eliminate the wood, the perspex isn't viable in my opinion....'polyurethane foam' is very broad; the correct versions would be suitable a cores if you want to fill the void with a laminate.....another approach would be to use an aluminum plate, stiffened as needed, as a surrogate for the wood....

Thank you. What type of foam would be good to fill the void? If I must use ply I will but I do want to fill the void. I only searched the internet and the Poly foam came up. Is it the sort that is used to fill the bouyancy chambers that I need? If so what type is that?

Nope,.... Wrong stuff for the wrong reasons,......

Yer transom should end up bein' plywood, 'n fiberglass,.....

Back