Logo

Large kicker external support questions - Help please!

njblanco10

I am trying to install a rather large kicker motor on an old 32 ft fiberglass commercial salmon bow-picker. I purchases a welded stainless steel box bracket and am thinking to using steel plate on the inside of the fiberglass, along with 5200 to seal up the bolt holes. After bolting it, I knew I was going to have some type of external support. Where and how would you guys suggest designing a support system? Thanks for your time, fellas!

One idea I head involved cables and turnbuckles to the rear cleats of the boat, but I know this is not very professional. That is why I need help. Take care guys.

- Nick Blanco
Larsen Bay, AK

Last edited:
Sorry, not enough to go on. How far up the transom is this bracket? What are the dimensions of the bracket? What's the hull made of? How thick is the transom? What's the access inside the transom? How big a motor (weight) are you hanging on this bracket? A welded steel bracket through bolted with a backing plate sounds like it should be enough. Pictures and measurements would help A LOT.

Backing plate should tie into the sides of the hull, i.e., full width of transom. Boats with bracket mounted motors have transoms that are designed for the bracket, thereby allowing brackets to not be backed the full width of the transom. The backing plate needs to be "bedded" to the transom so as to avoid any hot spot stress concentration points. I'm "assuming" given the boat size that you are looking at an O/B 150 HP or above (assuming a displacement hull), more if planing hull. "salmon bow picker" not a likely a familiar term to most of the folks on this forum

Back