Logo

1967 Evinrude 18 Fastwin Throttle Bushing Question

Samuelh1987

When working on the 1967 Evinrude 18 I just acquired I heard a loud clang and lost throttle response with the tiller handle. I got looking around and saw a threaded bushing laying on the floor. Naturally, I screwed the threaded end back into the throttle assembly and was able to use the tiller once again. This only lasted for a few twists and it fell out again. I screwed it in again and watched it when using the tiller and its unscrewing itself as you advance and retard the throttle. Temporarily, I've attached a piece of aluminum to hold the bushing in place. Am I missing something with how this should all go together? Is it okay to use something like loctite on the threads?

Part # of this bushing ?----Is it under that gear at the bottom of the vertical shaft ?----I think you have that installed wrong, but picture would help.

384684 Throttle control gear has what I though was a metal bushing that goes through it to but up against 0315632. I believe my setup may have had some shade tree work done though as the bushing on the parts list is plastic with no threads

Looks to me like it hit the ground hard is that a crack in the swivel bracket. Keep an eye on craigslist for a parts motor that is not running. From what i see in your pics you have several issues that need addressed.

The crack is where the idle adjustment screw contacts the tiller arm. I had no idea it was there until I took those pictures. I've only had this motor for a few days but it runs fantastic. The adjustment screw and plastic part that keeps everything in sync was lost long ago so it had the bolts put in their place by a previous owner. I'll keep a lookout for tiller arm and throttle assembly. It shifts well, has clean lower unit oil, good spark, and compression. Hopefully Nothing else really pops up on it. I traded a '66 9.5 to it even. Do you see.anyrhing else I need to be wary of by the photos?

There is a nylon bushing that goes underneath the throttle control gear part #0303854. You have to pull the control arm brackets off and lift the verticle shaft up enough to remove the gear then put the bushing under the gear!

As of now everything works just as it should. My initial problem was the metal plug that has threads on the end and accepts a flat screw driver fell out of the throttle assembly whetre the idle adjustment screw is located. I screwed it back in but realized it gradually screws back out when you use the tiller to speed up and slow down. It goes in and out of gear just fine. I've ran it on a local lake a few times and many hours in my tub here at home to get the slow speed needle adjusted, etc. If I could get the photos.to upload it would make much more sense.

That brass plug is no where on the parts diagrams is there a nylon bushing under the gear part number 0384684? Pull the throttle control gear and see if the bushing is there? It holds the gear up you have to remove the tiller handle and then pull the set screw in the verticlegear to pull the shaftout then lift the throttle control arm up out of the gear then look under the gear. You can possibly get a nylon washer to shim the gear up as long as the bushing is still there?

So, I took the entire thing apart. I am not missing any pieces except for the wedge / pin (which now has a stainless bolt) and idle speed thumb screw ( has a stainless bolt now too). After seeing how it all works, my problem is the bolt that screws into the bottom of 0384864 - Throttle Control Gear keeps unscrewing itself and falling out of the bushing. If you tighten that bolt completely it makes 0385509 - Control Lever to long to fit in the recess on the motor. Did it perhaps have a washer that fell out that has been lost? Is there.a way to to post photos with your phone that I'm not aware of? Everytime I try,. it goes through the loading process but does not appear.

Last edited:
When the motor left the factory there was no screw that goes into the bottom of 384864.----Some one has modified / cobbled this together !

You did not answer my ? Is there a bushing under the throttle control gear #384684 part#315632 is actually the swivel tube. The part your referencing looks like it came of a holly carb?

GLeoYn
2018-04-22_09-43-24.jpg part in question.

Meant to include this in my reply above after taking everything apart but it slipped my mind since it was about 2am. That bushing is not there. I mistook the bottom portion of the throttle control gear as it and mistakingly kept refering to it as such. Ill keep on the lookout for this entire assembly on eBay. There is no way the bushing would work with the diy plug / spacer. Makes since as to why it throughs everything out of alignment. It's a shame, the motor runs great as it is. I bent small piece of aluminum to fit over it and act as a stop on the plug.

Last edited:
You can get the bushing here they wear out. Also check the armature plate under the flywheel moves nice and smooth an has no wiggle up and down. What normally happens is the gets gunked up and makes the gears work to hard it puts alot of pressure down on the throttle gear. Chances are if you find one thing goofy there is likely something else hammer mechanic together.

I checked that out when I acquired the motor. I'm familiar with alot of the common issues with these and am semi handy. I pulled the flywheel when I traded with the guy and the points, and coils are good, condensers have a bit of rust along the upper edges so I'll replace them. The only real work I had to do to the old girl was clean the recoil spring up a bit and get a bunch of grease out of it. Luckily, the power head appears to be in very good shape as does the lower unit. It idles nice and low, and makes my sea nymph 12r V a torpeedo, lol. Im on lake Cumberland in KY so there are old motors all over, maybe a parts engine will pop up soon.

Ordered the proper parts off ebay, hope to have them by the weekend. Total cost including shipping for the gear, arm, bushing and wedge was $24.00. Why someone would go through all the trouble to fab up something over $24 is beyond me.

Back