Logo

Can i use a 2002 BF40 wiring harness on a 2006 BF50?

Johninaustin

Replacing my 2002 40 hp Honda with a 2006 50 HP Honda. I REALLY don't want to snake that wiring to the binnacle control box and was hoping that I can just use the old wiring and the quick disconnect at the motor. (It looks to be the same) There are no issues with the condition of the current wiring or binnacle.

Is this feasible? I'm not sure what changes there are between the model years to the binnacle controls and wiring harness.

Also, should I keep the 2002 40hp as a parts motor? It still runs fine but the hours are insanely high and it's starting to leak around the water jacket inspection plate gaskets. (Bolts are frozen by corrosion and not removable. ) I was thinking to otherwise just sell it on the local fishing board for a few hundred bucks but if for example the lower units interchange I'll keep it.

Thanks.

Yes you can reuse the rigging hardware of your 40 for your 50. Everything should match up.

The one difference that you will find, is that once you install your 50, you do not use the choke or advance the throttle when you start the motor. The 50 has different carburetors with a bystarter which acts as an automatic choke.

The lower unit is the same. It might be a slightly different color....although I am not sure about the color.

I would hang on to the motor for at least the lower unit.

The CDI pack and the carburetors are no longer available, and you could probably make some money just selling those. It is different on the 50.

If you just keep the lower unit, but sell the rest of the motor on ebay, shipping will be easier without that lower unit. It just depends on how much time you want to spend on selling it.

Mike

Just my opinion.

Yes you can reuse the rigging hardware of your 40 for your 50. Everything should match up.

The one difference that you will find, is that once you install your 50, you do not use the choke or advance the throttle when you start the motor. The 50 has different carburetors with a bystarter which acts as an automatic choke.

The lower unit is the same. It might be a slightly different color....although I am not sure about the color.

I would hang on to the motor for at least the lower unit.

The CDI pack and the carburetors are no longer available, and you could probably make some money just selling those. It is different on the 50.

If you just keep the lower unit, but sell the rest of the motor on ebay, shipping will be easier without that lower unit. It just depends on how much time you want to spend on selling it.

Mike Just my opinion.

Thank you! That's a load of fantastic infomation and exactly what I needed.:D

Back