Logo

Should a leak down test be done on Pre purchase check of a Honda 130 ???

occh

Contributing Member
I apologize for all the questions but I am probably going to buy this boat (2003 Mako 192) but I can’t get it to an authorized Honda mechanic and can’t get one to come to the boat, so I am doing this on the fly.

Here is is what I have checked so far:

1- verified that the serial number is above the range of blocks that were susceptible to cracks
2- verified the VST fuel system was upgraded

I was going to have a compression test done and call it a day but a Honda dealer I called recommended a leak down test. Any thoughts ? Should this be done only if compression comes back off?
Any other things I should be checking ? I will be hiring a mobile mechanic to do the compression test and such, just wish he was a Honda guy

thanks for any and all suggestions

The compression test tells you there is a leak and the leakdown tells you where it is leaking. Pull the plugs and hold the throttle wide open and check the compression three times engine cold. 1-4 1-4 1-4 if a four cylinder and use the high number for each cylinder. Get back with the numbers.

If you are possibly going to want to repair it the leakdown will tell you if it is the rings that would be a complete teardown. If you want a good engine out of the gate the compression test will be good enough let someone else deal with repairs?

Check the spark plugs too they will tell you an overhal condition of how the motor is running such as condition of valve stem seals etc.

Speaking of plugs...I changed them every season on my old carbed two stroke, do I do the same on this engine depending on usage. This is my first four stroke engine just not sure

You can down load the owners manual for free from https://marine.honda.com/support. It will give you the service interval for the plugs. On my BF 225 the service interval is 400 hours.

HOWEVER, it is very good practice to pull the plugs at every 100 hour maintenance interval (or every year) in order to check the burn - they should be milk chocolate brown - and lightly grease the threads before re-installing so that the SS plug base does not meld to the aluminum head.

Back