Logo

Will this lower unit work

CBight912

Can anyone tell me if a lower unit off a 1998 135 optimax will work on my 1997 125 4 cyl. I think the max was a 4cyl also. Thanks for any help.

i do not believe V6 lower units interchange withhe 4 cylinder motors. The 135 should be a V6 motor not a 4 cylinder. I dont believe believe there was an optimax 4 cylinder.

I dont believe there was ever a 4 cylinder optimax. A 135 would have been a V6 in the 2 strk line. If I am wrong there will be others who know more than me.

It might.....You need to know the following:
1) Are the top of drive shaft splines the same???..a big foot model the splines are smaller
2) What is the gear ratio???2:07 or 2:33??
3) Make sure yours is a 97 as they changed shift stroke in 1998. 1997 and below use 3 jaw clutch and 1998 uses a 6 jaw. Shift rod and throw have to match.

Thanks for all the help. Mine is a 97 according to the tag on the motor and its a 6 jaw, I have it apart now. I'm going to take mine and compare it tomorrow so we'll see how it goes. Thanks

They have never used a square coupler on these models...all splined. Only difference in couplers is non PT models as they have ramp like old inlines.

Back