Logo

The Stern Drive on OMC King Cobra

Randyrivers

Hello, I hope someone can help. I put a new engine in my boat, just got it broken in and I recently put the boat in the water for a lake test. It ran great. After getting on plane I stopped and put it in neutral and then reverse, it was a little sticky but went in gear good. The I put it back in forward now I have no forward. I had to put the gear in reverse to get back to the ramp. There was not lout noise or anything that something broke. The cables look fine but still no forward. It goes in reverse but putting in forward the engine just revs up and not going in forward gear. What could this be? It is a 1994 King Cobra with 351 Windsor inboard. Thanks

I put a new engine in my boat, just got it broken in and I recently put the boat in the water for a lake test.
I first have a question.
From reading the above text...... did you attempt to break-in this new engine before the boat hit the water?

It ran great. After getting on plane I stopped and put it in neutral and then reverse, it was a little sticky but went in gear good. The I put it back in forward now I have no forward. I had to put the gear in reverse to get back to the ramp. There was not lout noise or anything that something broke. The cables look fine but still no forward. It goes in reverse but putting in forward the engine just revs up and not going in forward gear. What could this be? It is a 1994 King Cobra with 351 Windsor inboard.
I know that by 1994 Volvo Penta had purchased OMC.
OMC produced the last stern drive at the end of 1993.
Are you certain that this is an OMC KC drive?
Do you know if it is a KC or KC CC drive?
Are you able to post photos of it?
Thanks

[h=2]OMC Cobra stern drive gear shift slipping.[/h]
Hi, Joe Reeves. I'm sorry to write you a Private message, but I couldn't figure out how to post online. Anyway, I have 1989 OMC Cobra 3.0L inboard engine. Lately, the gear shift slips off at around 3,000RPM to neutral (free). What could be causing the gears to shift out of the running position to neutral? When it happens I get the sea wake back towards my engine, resulting in water entering my exhaust manifold and inside my engine. I can hold tight on the shift lever and I feel it jumping but if I hold it goes back in on drive agaiżn. Can you please recommend what type of action or repair I need to do to rectify this issue. Your advice is appreciated. thank You.
Noel Portelli​

Noel, this thread was started back in April and was regarding the KC drive.
It would be best to start a new thread for your topic.

By the way..... your 3.0L will be equipped with the Cobra, not the King Cobra!

Re: The Stern Drive on OMC Cobra

Noel, this thread was started back in April and was regarding the KC drive.
It would be best to start a new thread for your topic.

By the way..... your 3.0L will be equipped with the Cobra, not the King Cobra!
Thank you for your reply. I'm having a problem finding out how to post a new thread. Can you please help me open and post a new post.

I recently had my out drive freeze up, I took my Baja to a local dealer who thought he knew everything.
Needless to say at least in Dodge county WI. I was ripped off. The best thing that did happen was this so called dealer
told me he had shipped the lower unit out. They gave me the name of the company after admitting they really new
nothing. Drive Spe******ts Inc. ask for George
you won't be sorry. This guy bent over backwards for me, he knows what he's talking about which is refreshing to say the least.
My 1991 King Cobra has been from what I thought was a mistake to something I will never part with. Seriously look George up
at Drive Spe******t's Michigan area.

Re: The Stern Drive on OMC Cobra

I'm having a problem finding out how to post a new thread. Can you please help me open and post a new post.

I think that new members must have three posts minimum in order to start a new thread.
Looks like you are at 2...... try posting one more time, then start a new thread!

Daddy King, you have posted to an old OMC thread from back in April.
If you were to start a new thread (in the OMC forum) and post your info regarding Drive Spe******t's Michigan area, it may benefit the OMC owners.
Be sure to "title" the thread appropriately as to grab the attention of OMC KC owners!

OMC KC
I recently purchased 19 FT BAJA 350 KC , I made the mistake of going to a local (dodge cty Wi) dealer. Fast talker knew nothing
about KC's He told me to drop off the boat. I knew the out drive had problems but he wanted the boat. He ended up sending out
the drive. I ended up speaking with George from Drive Specialties. Awesome guy answered all my question's fixed my lower unit
the dealer made their 100% mark up of course. Bottom line outdrive problems call George at Drive Spe******ts (Michigan Area)

Sounds like the shift cable needs adjusting. It isn't a big deal, but you have to know what you're doing. If you have a local OMC expert, take it to them & watch them adjust it. It's just a barrel nut on the shift cable that has to be spun into the right position to ensure the dog clutch hooks up (firmly) in both reverse and forward. If it's out of adjustment, you may get a good reverse (or forward) but not the other way around. I had a similar issue on mine for a while, until I got it adjusted out. On mine, though, I could get both forward and reverse, but forward wouldn't engage, unless I had the stern drive steering straight... that is, if I had the wheel turned to port or starboard, I couldn't get a good engagement. Yours sounds like it's far enough out of adjustment that it won't engage at all. (Which I also had at one point.)

Back