Logo

Exhaust Temperature Alarm

mikekomm

I'm about to install an exhaust temperature alarm on my Carver with twin Caterpillar 3208's. There are two popular products that I'm considering from Borel Mfg. and Aqualarm. Both products use a band that clamps around the exhaust after the mixer. The Borel alarm trips at 165F and the Aqualarm trips at 200F, both of these cannot be correct for the application. If 165F is the correct temp for this application, then Aqualarms product at 200F will not trip early enough and engine damage may already be taking place. If the 200F setting on the Aqualarm product is the proper setting, the Borel 165F product will set off early false alarms. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Last edited:
I'd say the switch point selection is a matter of choice. Most every exhaust hose I've touched is rated for up to 200 deg F continuous duty....so the lower the set point the more 'margin' you may have....I can tell you from first hand experience, a discarded ice bag covering your seawater inlet while up cruising will let the hot exhaust burn the hose in seconds......you can always consult your mechanic for his/her opinion.....or the OEM...

Back