Logo

1990 4HP Lower Unit not Releasing

Kim, Yeah, I'm able to see the shaft when I slide the lower unit away from the midsection, so all of the Blaster has been sprayed on the shaft. The spray nozzle is a pinpoint stream and I can't control the pressure but all of it has hit the shaft and run down. No change as of today so I sprayed another couple ounces of Blaster. Just like you said, let time and gravity work. Thanks for all your help.

Guys, Just an update. Still no luck, I've soaked it in everything, it might be too far gone. I think I'll set it aside for now. I've thought of taking the engine apart in an attempt to get to the crankshaft/driveshaft joint so I can use some stronger chemicals but that will take time and money that I don't feel like investing
now. I have two other engines so I'm not going to miss any fishing. Thanks for all your help. I'll keep you posted.

Mr Dave, don't let that mtr beat you. Just keep at it and post back. If it was myself I wouldn't give up until I had it apart. Good Luck !

Boobie, Thanks for the support. After being away from the project for a while it occurred that all I had to do was hacksaw the bolts holding the old impeller housing and the lower unit would come off. Well, today I'm glad to report that is exactly what happened. The shaft is badly rusted at the impeller and is stuck in the crank. I put some CLR between the shaft and crank with a syringe and it started foaming up. I'll re-apply for a few days and that should do it. I'll keep you guys posted.

Back