Logo

Mercury 1100SS Questions

CalebJns

Long story short, I purchased a ProCraft 1650V with the Mercury 1100SS attached to it. I purchased the boat for the hull, not necessarily the motor, as I was going to just swap my 85 Mercury over to it. (My transom had began to rot on my other boat). After getting the boat over to the mechanic to swap the engines out, we started exploring the 1100SS...come to find out the previous owner was actually telling the truth...top ran like a sewing machine, and the foot was JACKED UP! PO had taken it apart to replace water pump, and didn't hook it back up correctly. My mechanic went through it, corrected all the issues PO had caused, and now the thing RUNS like a scalded dog. I've had a couple people contact me about selling it, but think I am just going to keep it for the time being, because a) it is sweet looking b) it runs so well c) it puts out a good amount of power d) all said and done, I have very little, and I mean VERY LITTLE invested in it at this point

So the big question is this...It did not have power trim installed on it when I purchased it, and I would like to install one on it. Thought about taking the power trim off of my original boat and using it, but wanted to see what options might be had for new or good used...I have looked at numerous websites, etc, but can't find a consensus on what would be the best for it. It has the relay box, the controls (from previous Merc motor), so what would be the best recommendation for it? I am planning on using the boat for fishing (ultimately) but also for taking the family out to the lake for fun, possibly pulling the kids on tube, etc....again, fishing is the ultimate goal, but reality is probably more cruising and playing...

Any advise and comments welcomed.

IMG_2461.jpgIMG_2468.JPGIMG_2466.JPG
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2479.jpg
    IMG_2479.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 199
Also, do I have something good? I know it is a 67/68/69 model...just really curious what I lucked into...

I was also give a 90HP Mercury (same set up/close in year) with the boat...the 90 doesn't have a foot, but everything else works on it...

This is the type of PTT that goes on the older Mercs.You can change the rams and with a bit of imaginative thinking add the rams and brackets without changing the saddle and swivel clamp. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NZgEmX1TWQ. I did it without changing the saddle until I swapped it to another boat.Bottom pic is before the swap,and saves a lot of hassle.
Pump sits inside the boat.
There should be a number on the swivel bracket,older than '68

Attachments

• Photo0246.jpg
    Photo0246.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Photo0177.jpg
    Photo0177.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
This is the type of PTT that goes on the older Mercs.You can change the rams and with a bit of imaginative thinking add the rams and brackets without changing the saddle and swivel clamp. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NZgEmX1TWQ. I did it without changing the saddle until I swapped it to another boat.Bottom pic is before the swap,and saves a lot of hassle.
Pump sits inside the boat.
There should be a number on the swivel bracket,older than '68

Any idea where to find one? I've seen numerous models, but not a complete setup...

Update on the ProCraft and Merc...

Took it out today (Finally) and had a fear come to lite...as we were working on it, my mechanic was afraid the prop might be to much for the motor. Well, it didn't want to do much at all...it wouldn't throttle up without bogging down...I'm planning on taking back over to the mechanic on Monday, but here is a video of what it sounds like, and "trying" to get going...

https://youtu.be/NaGuX1a4ztQ

Tell me what you guys think...

I'll try to get a pic of the prop tomorrow...

Post #1 says it ran like a scalded dog and had a lot of power.------Was that determined running on a hose in neutral ?

Post #1 says it ran like a scalded dog and had a lot of power.------Was that determined running on a hose in neutral ?

Yeah, but it was ran through forward and reverse...after that he adjusted the throttle on it to. It feels like it’s throttled to low to me... but I will see what he says Monday

Back