Logo

One riser significantly hotter than the other

matthobbs454

Hello, I own a 2008 Glastron with a 4.3 Gl-j Volvo Penta engine
one of my risers is getting too hot to touch after only 30 mins of driving while the other one is barely warm, engine stays at 150 and there are no performance issues at all, I’ve taken of the exhaust manifold and riser and used a pressure washer to get all the gunk inside of it out I have noticed bad corrosion after getting most of the sand and corrosion out I put everything bj on and ran it again and it still got super hot, I plan on replaced both manifolds and risers however do you think the corrosion is the problem or may it be something else. Thank you for your time

Does your engine have a heat exchanger on it? If so have you taken the hose off to the manifold? I just had my heat exchanger off and noticed there was leaves and chunks of wood inside the caps of the exchanger, which could have plugged the flow. Just a thought

Hello, I own a 2008 Glastron with a 4.3 Gl-j Volvo Penta engine
one of my risers is getting too hot to touch after only 30 mins of driving while the other one is barely warm, engine stays at 150 and there are no performance issues at all, I’ve taken of the exhaust manifold and riser and used a pressure washer to get all the gunk inside of it out I have noticed bad corrosion after getting most of the sand and corrosion out I put everything bj on and ran it again and it still got super hot, I plan on replaced both manifolds and risers however do you think the corrosion is the problem or may it be something else. Thank you for your time

Matt, I do not see a 4.3 GI-J listed. Please verify the Engine model number for us!

If I look at the [FONT=&quot]4.3OSi-J, 4.3OSi-JF I see that this model does not use Risers/Spacers. I see manifolds and elbows only. [/FONT]
https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7747670-25-22263.aspx

When I look at the [FONT=&quot]4.3GXi-J, 4.3GXi-JF I do see a Riser/Spacer being used underneath the Elbow.
[/FONT]https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7747670-25-21811.aspx

(note: in a misnomer fashion, you will see Elbows being referred to as Risers)

None-the-less, Risers/Spacers rarely cause one Elbow to run warmer than the other.
More likely you have a "spent" seawater flow restriction in the seawater path that supplies the side that is running warmer! The cure will be finding the restriction and clearing it!

Once we have the correct engine model number, we can take this further.

.............. and I do believe they are elbows not risers. But I don’t really know the difference Volvo calls them elbows however websites with the same picture shows them as risers http://www.volvopentastore.com/Exha...on_id.756300204--store_id.366--view_id.780601

Yes, this is a common misnomer, very similar to calling an Engine a motor or a stern drive a leg or a flywheel cover a bell housing!
I can assure you that if the exhaust manifold feeds exhaust into a cast component that turns the exhaust AFT and/or downwards, it is an Elbow.

But back to your issue........ an elbow that is running HOT is very likely not receiving enough "spent" seawater.
Find the restriction, or find out what's causing low flow, and you will most likely solve the problem.

Back