Logo

Drive Bellows Replacement - Aquamatic 250/270

jeffnick

Regular Contributor
I've read the procedure somewhere, for removing just the upper section of the drive to replace the drive bellows but I'll be darned if I can find it. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Any preferred source for the new bellows - part number? And "O" rings?

Also, typically, which PDS assembly would I have for the 270 six cylinder engine - single or double bearing?

I've read the procedure somewhere, for removing just the upper section of the drive to replace the drive bellows but I'll be darned if I can find it. Can someone steer me in the right direction?
Drain the 30W gear oil.
Remove the helmet pin, and tilt the helmet upwards and out of your way.
Loosen the worm screw from the AFT-most bellows band clamp.
Remove the clevis pin so that the vertical linkage rod can swing downwards. (DO NOT leave the linkage rod connected to the eccentric piston!)
Remove the two 3/8" hex nuts and the two 3/8" cap screws.
The transmission should now lift up, turn sideways, and be pulled out.
If it is stuck, just loosen the two cap screws a few turns and jack upwards on them.... this will break any seal that is preventing the transmission from moving upwards.

Any preferred source for the new bellows - part number? And "O" rings?
OEM are typically best.... although the Sierra is OK.
Look here for part numbers by engine model number.

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-schematics-MarineGasolineEngines.aspx

Also, typically, which PDS assembly would I have for the 270 six cylinder engine - single or double bearing?
You will have the single bearing PDS with a pilot nose.

Jeff, in order to remove the PDS, you'll need a loooooong needle nose plyers with the tips rounded and bent slightly inwards.
This is the best tool for grabbing onto the two large snap rings for removal.
You will need to sacrifice the seal in order to reach the first snap ring.
That snap ring simply stops the seal. In other words..... the seal installs LAST up against this snap ring.
The second and deep snap ring secures the PDS bearing.

Once these are removed, the PDS should pull out AFT.

The bearing will be a 6206 industry standard bearing, and will be an OPEN bearing.
Be sure to pump grease into the grease port prior to installing the seal, making sure that you see NEW grease come through the ball cage!

The seal is an industry standard 35x62x7mm in a TCM or Timken brand.
It installs in the Non-Conventional direction. (I. E., the seal lip and tension spring will be visible from AFT)

Be sure to grease the FWD PDS splines and the pilot nose.

Attachments

• Long needle nose pliers for PDS snap rings.jpg
    Long needle nose pliers for PDS snap rings.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 31
Back