Logo

6hp sailpro

Naturalsailor64

I have a 9.8 that has to be replaced due to corrosion, but a new one of the same size, 4 stroke, will not fit in my well. Considering the 6hp with high thrust prop. Will it have the power to move a sailboat that is 3500lbs?

Last edited:
The MFS6 is a great motor; the long and ultra-long versions with HT prop work very well. I have a couple of them on 3000-pound boats, but I would prefer a 9.8. It will never push like a 9.8 with HT prop (which I use on my 7000-plus-pound HR-28) , but if your options are to either fit in the well (is this a Columbia?) or mount a bracket on the transom... keep in mind that to go electric start, you must go with the 9.8.

Can you make a well modification? Perhaps increase the mount height and go with an ultra-long version?

Thanks for info. It is a 1964 O’day Tempest. The previous owner removed the stern mount and but a well in the cockpit seat on the port side next to tiller. I guess for easy access. The 9.8 are too wide for the opening and heavy. My old 9.8 was a 2 stroke so it was narrow. The 6 will fit fine and I like that it is a 4 stroke with an alternator to charge the battery. Will the sailpro with the HT prop move the boat up to hull speed? Maybe 6 or 7? I mainly use it to get out of marina and sails are up in 10 minuets but sometimes may have to go out further for wind on LI Sound. I used to have a heavy current on the ct river to go against but now it is easier.

It will push a Tempest 23 just fine. Keep in mind that the alternator is puny, and will only charge significantly above 1/2 throttle.

Back