Logo

Coil Assembly Trigger for 1976 - Model 110 - 9.8 h.p.

J.J. Zimmerman

I'm looking for a little help with a 1976 Mercury 9.8 h.p. outboard Model 110 with Thunderbolt Ignition. I'm looking for the Coil Assembly Trigger - Mercury Part # 66392A1, Is there a viable solution for the replacement of this part if it is no longer available?

How did you determine the trigger is faulty?
I didn't determine it was faulty, the motor ran last fall when I got it after it spent 10 years outside laying inside a boat - I had to rebuild the fuel line check unit adapter, cleaned the carburetor and it fired up after about half dozen pulls. While I was rebuilding the water pump I discovered that the wires on the Trigger Coil Assembly part#66392a1 was not in the best of shape and I should consider replacing it somewhere here in the near future.

Last edited:
When you actually start looking for this part, there was supposed to be various lengths of the wires coming off of the trigger coil assembly and mine are pretty long on this Mercury 110, the replacement trigger coil assembly wire lengths in replacement part photos don't resemble what is currently on my motor, my motors wires coming off of the trigger coil assembly appear to be about a half foot long or more and the replacement trigger coil assembly wires in any photos of a packaged replacement trigger coil assembly appear to be only about a few inches long(if even that).

Yea not alot of info on that coil. Looking on ebay for the complete trigger assy # 338 5286A1 they all have the short wires. You can always just put a couple pigtails on the new coil wires just solder the pigtails on and then shrink wrap them to protect from moisture.

Back