Logo

Timing belt tensioner - should I be able to move it by hand?

metal-chicken

Regular Contributor
Just pulled the thermostats on my BF225 to check them and noticed that the timing belt had a little slack in it, so I went to wiggle the tensioner pulley but I can't move it..... Should I be able to?

If so, how should I go about freeing it up?

(edit: the tensioner pulley itself seems to turn fairly easily by hand)

Last edited:
I have the official Honda service manual but can't find anything about the operation of the tensioner. I would have thought that, as it has a spring, it would be always movable by hand (bit like a lawnmower deck belt tensioner) - but then that might not be enough for something as critical as the timing belt.
In which case it would make sense to tension the belt and then tighten the tensioner pulley bolt down ..... but then why wold you need a spring if the tensioner doesn't move?

My belt deflection is currently about right so I'm not rushing into changing anything, I was just checking really!

To adjust Honda V6 timing belt, turn engine backwards very slowly until all the belt slack is on the tensioner side, loosen the holding bolt and allow the spring to pull the tensioner arm and then lock it up again, do not assist to get more tension. You will find it appears a little loose but that is how they are designed.

Back