Logo

Broke skeg/gear cover on 1989 Johnson 25hp 2-stroke, to replace do i need new seals?

Hi, I somehow cracked the lower gearcase housing/skeg on my 25hp Johnson (maybe setting it down on the skeg wasn't the best idea?). See photo. If I get a replacement, can I just swap it out, or will I need to replace all the seals etc. at the same time?

Thanks for any guidance --

Harold

attachment.php

Attachments

• johnson skeg.jpeg
    johnson skeg.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 628
No----That froze due to water intrusion.-----Take it apart for a complete inspection before you spend a penny !!----Is the oil in the picture all the oil that leaked out ??

Last edited:
No----That froze due to water intrusion.-----Take it apart for a complete inspection before you spend a penny !!----Is the oil in the picture all the oil that leaked out ??

That's all the oil that leaked out. I had it running a couple of weeks ago. Pretty sure it wasn't like that when we lifted it off the boat, after we set it down in the garage, I saw it --

Take this lower unit apart for inspection.---Your location ?---Any more pictures of the area around the crack ?

Last edited:
It needs to come apart.-----I can repair those " freeze cracks " using " lumiweld " brazing rods.

Do I need to replace all the seals for the lower unit when I take the skeg off? If not I'll just pull it off and replace or get fixed, otherwise I'll have to learn how to replace the seals. Not sure if they need replacing when this part is removed.

In my opinion this lower unit had water in it that froze !----So yes you need all new seals.----That skeg is NOT considered a replacement part by itself.----The upper and lower part are machined when assembled.----I see them listed for sale by themselves all the time.---- Folks are simply unaware how these things work.

They are machined as an assembly.----Thus they are matching parts.----But they are replaced by those on a budget all the time.---You may get lucky.----You need a seal kit.---But first inspect all the parts.

That is a difficult repair to make at best. racer one may be able to bolt it down, but things are going to move while it is welded. The freeze damage also exerted forces that can move things. As stated this part is machined to match the upper part of the case. Lots of people change them not knowing any better (or just saving money?) They can be difficult to seal afterwards. You definitely need to plan on a reseal of the complete unit. A pressure & vaccum test would be essential in this case. That is a major crack. YouTube should have a video presentation of how to proceed step by step.

Aluminum has no memory if you weld it it will distort unserviceable. If the bearings and gears are in good shape just buy a cheap gearbox get a seal kit and put all the good parts together. You may get lucky with just the skeg but they are precision machined as a set you risk getting the gearlash wrong and the gears will quickly burn up especially if too tight.

A product called " lumiweld " can be used to fix that.-----No distortion.-----First used that stuff in 1980 I believe !!

By the time you get done screwing around trying to fix that. You could find a replacement lower and Be on the water again in no time. If you use the pummeled clean the lower unit completely any lube in there and it won't stick. When I have used it i pulled the prop seal and left the lower together. That way you can minimize warping. You also want to be careful not to melt the lower itself.

Last edited:
Back