Logo

2010 Mercury 9.9 4 -stroke rebuild advise!!!

mvargas

So I have a 2010 mercury 9.9 4-stroke that I believe has spun a crank bearing. Not sure why, I got the motor cheap and was expecting to have to rebuild the fuel system. Turns out it needs more than that. Aside from that the motor is pretty clean and is intact, doesn't seem to have been previously messed with. Im pretty mechanically inclined, I've built motors before just never a boat motor. Usually I can find some sort of reference material via youtube or forums where I guide myself through it, however I cannot find a single thing about rebuilding an engine like this. I also cannot seem to find the crank bearings anywhere, every where I look they seem to be discontinued. Is there a reason for this? Is it just not worth doing it? The engine really is in good shape besides the crank bearing and in my area a healthy motor like this goes for about $1k-1.4k, I have a good bit less than half that into it so I have a tough time seeing how it couldn't be worth rebuilding. Does anyone have any input or experience with this?

Thanks again.

Serial # is ?----Main bearings ?-----There may not be an insert for a rod bearing.----Explain what you think you need here.

Last edited:
Serial # is ?----Main bearings ?-----There may not be an insert for a rod bearing.----Explain what you think you need here.

I posted the motor info above. As far as what I think I need... just any input if anyone has any on the subject really. I just find it really odd that I can't find any videos, how-to's, guides, or forum threads on rebuilding the power head on one of these. Not even on a similar model engine... It leads me to believe that there may be more to it than Im seeing. At this point my plan is pretty much to tear down the motor and see what shape everything is in, then better assess the issue from that point. With the flywheel and timing belt off, the crank has more play in it than it should, that much I know.

Not many shops rebuild these things.----Parts and labour quickly approach the point where it is better to buy a new motor.----As you know robots in a modern factory work for nothing.---I know that does not help one with a " freebie " and the will to try doing this.

Not many shops rebuild these things.----Parts and labour quickly approach the point where it is better to buy a new motor.----As you know robots in a modern factory work for nothing.---I know that does not help one with a " freebie " and the will to try doing this.

Yea I can understand not bothering with it if I was going to pay a shop to rebuild it, but with labor being "free" and parts really not seeming too bad, if I can find them, there's a chance that it won't be very much. I know it's not a big engine or anything crazy, so it's not a huge investment. I did buy the motor with the expectation of doing some work to it, but my initial diagnoses was carbs and fuel stuff. This is a little more than I had expected, but certainly not out of my capabilities. I just really want to find someone who has done it and see what their outcome was and their input on it is.

Back