Logo

Blower directly off 12V 60W 5A Alternator

Brian Buzz

I have a 6hp sailpro with alternator in the lazerrette on my Alberg 22. Sometimes the engine chokes itself from the exhaust fumes when the lid is closed. I would like to run a blower directly off the alternator when the engine is running. Can I do this without a battery?

I hope not. BTW this is a 2016 Tohatsu 6hp Sail pro. They all come with a alternator with a plug and two prong connector cable if you want to run to a battery. Nowhere did I read that if you don't hook it up you will fry the system. I can plug in the cable and check the output with a meter tomorrow to see if it's still working.

The Tohatsu regulator/rectifier will work just fine without being connected to a battery, so it should not have failed.

As for powering a blower, keep in mind that the charge profile does not make very much power, except at WOT. I have a similar setup in my HR-28, except with the 6-amp 9.8. Of course, my boat does have a house battery. Yes, I can run the lazarette blower with the help of the alternator, but at slower speeds, the blower draws more power than the alternator makes.

I would suggest that at higher speeds, the exhaust will be behind the boat anyway; it's at slow speeds and reverse (when the alternator does not make much power) that you want more fresh air.

See if you can setup the lazarette compartment to get fresh air passively; either by opening the hatch, or with clamshell or similar vents.

Thanks Paul
Makes sense to me. It's at low speeds that I would need it the most. I think my exhaust problem is coming from the two upper exhaust holes. But they look so small in diameter that I didn't think I could extend them by putting tubing into the holes and rerouting the exhaust. Running with the hatch closed is so much quieter and more pleasant.

Two upper exhaust holes? That's news to me.
The exhaust is no doubt bubbling up from the prop.
If you add a small battery, and charge it from the outboard, it would probably work well enough to run a blower. BUT, you might need to charge it more than the outboard does, depending on how you operate.

I assumed that it is where the exhaust is coming from because the sail pro has a 25 inch shaft and the engine sits low in the well and if the water touches those two exhaust holes it bubbles showing exhaust is exiting there too. Also the boat is moving slow so I thought that the prop exhaust would be behind the boat.

What two holes? Where are they located? Can you describe their location so I can understand without a picture?

images

Back