Logo

Crusader 6.1 coolant loss mystery

JohnEasley

Good Morning,

First time poster. I'm hoping the experienced minds here can come up with some ideas. He's what's happening and what we did for diagnostics.

My friend has a 2006 36' Silverton with Crusader 6.1 engines. The plastic cover on the engine says 6.1. A local parts shop said they were only produced for a very short period of time. He's had the boat about a year and a half. At first, it would run fine on multi-day trips. In the last few months, the port engine started running hot on the second or third day. Each time the temp alarm went off, he would check the coolant reservoir and find it empty so he would top it up with coolant and it would be fine for another day or two. Last weekend, we attempted to track down the leak.

Armed with a pressure tester, we topped up the coolant reservoir tank using a two-cup measuring cup. It took two of these to top it up. As soon as we applied pressure at the reservoir tank using the tester, the tank was dry again. Refill, repeat, dry again. Repeat, repeat, repeat. The tester would pump up as high 15-17 psi but wouldn't hold it. It would slowly start to leak down. Within a couple of minutes, it would be down to 10 psi. We had the same results at a variety of pressures from 5 psi up to 17.

Over the span of a couple of hours, we probably poured close to three gallons into the reservoir tank. We never found any leaks around any hose fittings, the thermostat housing, the fresh water pump, or the gaskets on the manifolds, spacers, or risers. We took the end cap off of the heat exchanger and pressurized the system again but nothing dripped out. We removed the exhaust hoses coming from the risers and pressurized the system, no drips. However, by listening closely, we could hear what can only be described as gurgling coming from the exhaust opening of the risers.

The engine starts easily and runs smoothly. There is no excess fluid in the crankcase and the oil is not milky or foamy. There is no sheen on the water near the exhaust when that engine is running; however, the owner reports what appears to be a small amount of steam from that exhaust when running at temperature.

We know a lot about where there is not a leak but we have yet to definitively identify where all of that coolant is going. By process of elimination, we're leaning toward an internal leak somewhere in the manifolds or risers. They are probably the originals from 2006.

Anyone run into this before? What did it turn out to be? Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Good Morning,

First time poster. I'm hoping the experienced minds here can come up with some ideas. He's what's happening and what we did for diagnostics.

My friend has a 2006 36' Silverton with Crusader 6.1 engines. The plastic cover on the engine says 6.1. A local parts shop said they were only produced for a very short period of time. He's had the boat about a year and a half. At first, it would run fine on multi-day trips. In the last few months, the port engine started running hot on the second or third day. Each time the temp alarm went off, he would check the coolant reservoir and find it empty so he would top it up with coolant and it would be fine for another day or two. Last weekend, we attempted to track down the leak.

Armed with a pressure tester, we topped up the coolant reservoir tank using a two-cup measuring cup. It took two of these to top it up. As soon as we applied pressure at the reservoir tank using the tester, the tank was dry again. Refill, repeat, dry again. Repeat, repeat, repeat. The tester would pump up as high 15-17 psi but wouldn't hold it. It would slowly start to leak down. Within a couple of minutes, it would be down to 10 psi. We had the same results at a variety of pressures from 5 psi up to 17.

Over the span of a couple of hours, we probably poured close to three gallons into the reservoir tank. We never found any leaks around any hose fittings, the thermostat housing, the fresh water pump, or the gaskets on the manifolds, spacers, or risers. We took the end cap off of the heat exchanger and pressurized the system again but nothing dripped out. We removed the exhaust hoses coming from the risers and pressurized the system, no drips. However, by listening closely, we could hear what can only be described as gurgling coming from the exhaust opening of the risers.

The engine starts easily and runs smoothly. There is no excess fluid in the crankcase and the oil is not milky or foamy. There is no sheen on the water near the exhaust when that engine is running; however, the owner reports what appears to be a small amount of steam from that exhaust when running at temperature.

We know a lot about where there is not a leak but we have yet to definitively identify where all of that coolant is going. By process of elimination, we're leaning toward an internal leak somewhere in the manifolds or risers. They are probably the originals from 2006.

Anyone run into this before? What did it turn out to be? Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

If the engine is not eating the coolant, and the exhaust is not getting coolant, and there are no external leaks, that leaves the RW path back out the boat. Remove more RW hoses to check that out. Did you remove both HE caps, or just one?

If the engine is not eating the coolant, and the exhaust is not getting coolant, and there are no external leaks, that leaves the RW path back out the boat. Remove more RW hoses to check that out. Did you remove both HE caps, or just one?

We just removed the one HE cap. We had kind of come to the same conclusion, that the coolant was following the raw water path out of the boat. It definitely isn't leaking into the bilge or into the oil pan; we ruled those out. We can remove more raw water hoses and try again. It's going somewhere.

"....However, by listening closely, we could hear what can only be described as gurgling coming from the exhaust opening of the risers..."

Assuming this is with the exhaust hose disconnected...??? If so, I'd say the issue is probably the blockoff plate/gasket on that riser/elbow...could also be the iron has corroded thru....hard to believe three gallons when 'somewhere' and wasn't visible...maybe pull the raw water feed on that riser/elbow and repressurize the closed cooling side???

BTW, I don't think there was a 6.1L engine marinized in that timeframe....

Wow I would not have got that one right. I would have started with the Heat Exchanger. I had the same issue and the Heat Exchanger was bad, allowing the coolant to go out the exhaust with the raw water.

Wow I would not have got that one right. I would have started with the Heat Exchanger. I had the same issue and the Heat Exchanger was bad, allowing the coolant to go out the exhaust with the raw water.

That was actually our first suspicion but we ruled it out by isolating it, removing the end caps, pressurizing the coolant system, and observing no leaks. The rest was a process of elimination.

Hey Ply. Turns out the problem was the port side exhaust manifold had rusted and was allowing coolant to leak out through the exhaust. My friend is having all four manifolds replaced next week.

Wow! Exhaust manifolds are considered by some to never need replacement because they only have antifreeze flowing through them. No raw water, whether fresh or salt. Go figure and thanks for the follow-up post.

Wow! Exhaust manifolds are considered by some to never need replacement because they only have antifreeze flowing through them. No raw water, whether fresh or salt. Go figure and thanks for the follow-up post.

Some of us just a half closed cooling system. In my 1977 Crusader CH270 exhaust system, the raw water exits the heat exchanger, where the flow is split into two hoses that each go into the forward end of their respective manifolds. There's no block-off plate so the raw water continues up the riser and out the elbow. I wish I had the full system.

I don't know if the OP's Crusader 6.1s are set up like mine.

Some of us just a half closed cooling system. In my 1977 Crusader CH270 exhaust system, the raw water exits the heat exchanger, where the flow is split into two hoses that each go into the forward end of their respective manifolds. There's no block-off plate so the raw water continues up the riser and out the elbow. I wish I had the full system.

I don't know if the OP's Crusader 6.1s are set up like mine.

He wouldn't have been losing antifreeze out with the exhaust fumes and raw water if he had a half system.

Back