Logo

How to install tachometer on m90a

sejrsen

Hi

I have bought a tohatsu tach for my Tohatsu m90a two stroke.

I dont know how to connect it. From the remote I have White, red, black and light green.
From the tachometer I have a White, Yellow, red, blue, black and light green.

What do I do?

Thanks

What model/part number tach do you have? Full info is in the Factory service manual. FWIW, the white wire is the tach signal. Yellow is tach signal ground. Red is switched 12v. Black is battery ground.

I think the yellow and black on the tacho tie in together with the black (Neg) from the remote.
The Blue is the illumination and can either tie in to the switched positive or instrument illumination switch if you run these separately (I don't so its just on the pos switched)

What model/part number tach do you have? Full info is in the Factory service manual. FWIW, the white wire is the tach signal. Yellow is tach signal ground. Red is switched 12v. Black is battery ground.

I dont know the model number20180405_144908 (Copy).jpg20180404_103902 (Copy).jpg20180404_103734 (Copy).jpg

I attached a few pics. Do I need to make a new tach wire from engine to tachometer?

Thanks

You should not need any extra wiring. Set the tach to 6 poles. Power the tach with the red wire from the RC box. Signal to trigger the tach is the white wire from the RC box. Yellow is tach ground (black at the RC box). Light Green is for oil light in the tach.

You should not need any extra wiring. Set the tach to 6 poles. Power the tach with the red wire from the RC box. Signal to trigger the tach is the white wire from the RC box. Yellow is tach ground (black at the RC box). Light Green is for oil light in the tach.

Thanks Paul

I will have a look at it later

Thanks

It worked like a charm

Paul , I have a model # ns 70c . I assume the tach color code is the same. I bought a new Faria tachometer before I realized I needed oil indicator . Can I just add a separate indicator light? Give it to the green wire?

That should work.

So white wire goes to " signal" terminal . Faria gauge directions mention a capacitor between signal and ground plug? Will that be necessary?

I believe I also got a wrong trim gauge 😣... I have pink orange green black, but only 3 terminals on my trim gauge ? If so , who can you recommend I order parts from on line?

You would need to ask Faria about wiring.
There are 2,3 and 4 wire trim senders. You likely have a 2-wire setup. Personally, I would use the 2-wire Tohatsu gauge. Which wires do you have, and where do they originate?
Any dealer can help you with a different meter.

You would need to ask Faria about wiring.
There are 2,3 and 4 wire trim senders. You likely have a 2-wire setup. Personally, I would use the 2-wire Tohatsu gauge. Which wires do you have, and where do they originate?
Any dealer can help you with a different meter.

Thanks Paul for your input, I do appreciate it. I have 4 wires pink green orange black they go all the way to the trim unit. My Faria tach wants a hot from ignition, a ground and a "send" ? Is there a hot and ground wire already in the wires coming from trim unit?
Or do I just need correct gauge ?
Thanks again

Bad news is that
3E0725710MTRIM METER ASSY. (4-WIRE)-NO LONGER AVAILABLE

The tach signal wire and the power and ground are all available at the RC box.

Bad news is that
3E0725710MTRIM METER ASSY. (4-WIRE)-NO LONGER AVAILABLE

The tach signal wire and the power and ground are all available at the RC box.

I've provided power from Ignition and a ground not sure which of those 4 wires from the trim Is unit is my send wire? If thats possible?

Probably not. I would look into a 2-wire trim sender for the motor.

Hi Paul, got my carbs rebuilt, new plugs, gear oil , new pump impeller and new fuel
line ...it starts right up run good ! Now I'm back to my trim situation, turns out my trim sender is broken, has little arm external that is broke off. Is there a 2 wire replacement for my model ns70c that you could recommend ?

Back