Logo

Stupid is as stupid does Re: J10ECBD

Bullie

Regular Contributor
I was given a 9.9 Evinrude today. The previous owner had seen a motor started with a drill and decided to try it himself. Probably would have worked fine but he used an impact driver and stripped the threads on the crankshaft. So, what can be done? Can the crank be re-threaded? Or would something else work better? I don't know if he spread the taper out on the flywheel. I will have to check that out.

J10ECBD or something else ?----At any rate the same crank was used for many years and lots of used ones can be found.

Ok. I will check to see if I have a manual for this motor then start looking for a crank shaft. Luckily I have the summer off. Looks like a good project and a chance to learn some new stuff.

Last edited:
What else, besides the crank and rings, should I expect to replace? I found a used crank for $40. Does that sound reasonable?

Putting the crankcase halfs back together is a art. Once you are at that point practice a couple times. Measure end play on the crank without the seals and then torque the halves together. Check end play is correct and the crank turns smooth. Once confident install the seals after putting alight bead of loctite onthe outer edge then quickly put a bead of loctite on one half ov the crankcase and bolt them together. Torque the screws to spec and check the crank turns smooth and the end play is still good. Wait at least 24hrs before you try starting it.

I use end play as a reference on assembly! I do not have the specs on end play depending on design its possible there is no way other than replace the block or crank? The crank is resting on something usually a bearing surface in the block.

I use end play as a reference on assembly! I do not have the specs on end play depending on design its possible there is no way other than replace the block or crank? The crank is resting on something usually a bearing surface in the block.

That particular motor uses a ball bearing for axial loads on the bottom. The cases use a tapered dowel pin for alignment. Just make sure the outer race of the ball bearing is against the shoulder on the case.

I was given a 9.9 Evinrude today. The previous owner had seen a motor started with a drill and decided to try it himself. Probably would have worked fine but he used an impact driver and stripped the threads on the crankshaft. So, what can be done? Can the crank be re-threaded? Or would something else work better? I don't know if he spread the taper out on the flywheel. I will have to check that out.

OMG! That's as bad as I guy I knew who was determined to put FoMoCo aftermarket mag wheels on his Buick Riviera. He forced three of the five lug nut on the wheels and went for a ride. He was towed home after a wheel went AWOL in the middle of a turn. I tried to tell him.

You could save yourself a-lot of time and find a complete, serviceable power head and swap.

Bill

Back