Logo

1986 Mercruiser 3.0 140 inboard shifting problem

Mrpiano45

Need some professional assistance! All our marinas are still closed for the winter so there's no local service guys to help. Here's the problem: After starting the motor in neutral and allowing it to warm up, I then shift into drive (or reverse) and immediately the motor cuts out. I raised the idle thinking that might help, but to no avail. A friend of mine said there must be some kind of safety switch that is cutting the motor out. I looked but was unable to locate it. Can anyone please HELP? Thank you.....

Go to the shift plate at the rear of the motorand verify the roller is in the V notch, then start the motor .
Shift into fwd and if the motor dies leave the control handel where it is and go look and see if the roller is in the V notch. Do the same test with rev.
If the roller IS NOT IN THE NOTCH you need the lower shift cable replaced

Go to the shift plate at the rear of the motorand verify the roller is in the V notch, then start the motor .
Shift into fwd and if the motor dies leave the control handel where it is and go look and see if the roller is in the V notch. Do the same test with rev.
If the roller IS NOT IN THE NOTCH you need the lower shift cable replaced

Thank you Doctur....is there any place online that would show pictures of the shift plate you mentioned? I have no idea what it might look like.

Ayuh,.... It's where the forward shift cable meets the lower shift cable, 'n you need to replace the lower shift cable, it's stickin',....

Thanks to all for your help. Had a new shifter cable installed and now works fine. However, I noticed that the engine, when first started runs real rough (the whole boat shakes) till it warms up. The technician told me that's normal for a 4 cyl. ...but it never did it before! Has new plugs, wires and points. Any thoughts why it runs so rough for a few minutes till it settles down?

Mr Piano says that his engine did not run rough until the lower shift cable had been replaced. Unless the mechanic messed with the choke, the problem is likely the SA (shift assist) adjustment.
The final SA adjustment must be made while the boat is in the water...... not while in the shop!

I hope that Merc someday leaves the dog clutch drive behind and starts producing only cone clutch drives, as with their B drives.
The OMC ESA and the Merc SA have always given owners a problem.

Last edited:
Back