Logo

Water on gapless spark plug

OutdoorsDad

Good afternoon, good people

I installed new gapless plugs yesterday in my 1985 25hp merc. After running for 10 mins I pulled them out only to see that there was a light colored film on the plug that I thought was water/oil mix. Any idea what this could be?
smallplug.jpgsmallplug2.jpg

Could be what you think it is. Run it some more (about 20 minutes) and keep the revs up a bit. and check again to see if it has gone away. Check to see if you are using Gasahol instead of reg. unleaded.

I agree pull the exhaust cover and manifold. The manifold can crack if the engine ran out of water. Pull the manifold and inspect it if it looks good get two new gaskets and put it back together. Brush a light coat of permatex aviation on both sides of the gaskets and let cure at least 24hrs before you start it.

I surely appreciate the help. Unfortunately, I'm not real smart. When you say "exhaust baskets", are you referring to the manifold? Number 8 as shown in the diagram?
manifold.jpg

Need a serial # for your motor. Because a 1985 model is probably a design 1 block. That means no thermostat so it will be hard to get a decent temp reading.

Yes it leaks in from the water jacket on the exhaust. Once you get the covers off you will see how it gets in there. You need to replace both gaskets. If you have water on the plugs I do not recommend running it as you can score a piston that way.

The water jacket is the exhaust manifold FYI i have seen them cracked and they spray water in the exhaust ports and when the piston is all the way down it gets in the cylinder. A blown out gasket has the same effect you will see when you pull the manifold.

Looks like I'm digging in tonight. In case I'm unable to find it, would anyone know what to torque the manifold down to when I reassemble?
Thank you very much, really appreciate all the help.

Like a german virgin good n tite. We dont use torque values on those older bolts use a center out pattern and get them good and snug. Put some gasket maker on the threads if you want. If you do not see anything wrong get two new gaskets and use permatex aviation on both sides and allow proper cur time. Do not reuse the pld gaskets.

So I pulled the manifold off and found a mess. The film that was on my plugs was all over. I cleaned it up as best I could and now have to wait for the new gaskets come. I didn't see anything on the old gaskets that would indicate they were leaking but I guess we'll find out next week. Not sure if this matters but I used "muffs" for the first time, usually use a tub of water. Is there anyway the water could shoot upward and into the cylinders? The film runs downward through what I assume is the exhaust. Just a shot in the dark.

Well, I got the new gaskets on the manifold and got her running but the water pump started to fail so I didn't want to keep it running. Going to replace the pump tonight. Any idea of what the torque is that's needed for the water pump cover? Or lower unit bolts?

This motor is going to make me jump out of a window. I pulled the lower unit, replaced impeller and gasket and now I have no water circulating at all. Thinking it may be the thermostat but unsure. Is the motor supposed to "pee" all the time or only when the thermostat is supposed to allow it? I have had this motor about 5 years and it has always peed while running but that doesn't mean it was supposed to, I guess. I let the motor run for less than a minute and saw no water so I shut it down, worried about over heating. Any suggestions?

Did you happen to pull the water tube when you dropped the lower unit. If you have the thermostat block the water should piddle a little bit until the stat opens. If you have the block with no thermostat water will come out like a waterfall.

The water tube is attached to to the impeller box and came came out when I dropped the LU. It was attached but not rigid, not really sure if it is supposed to be , though. I had a sway side to side. Maybe it didn't line up with the rubber coupling at the inlet inside? There was no water coming out of the pee hole at all, only a little exhaust puffs.

Pull the lower back off the motor. The copper tube needs to be removed from the pump housing and reinstalled in the powerhead. Then put everything back together with the tube installed in the powerhead. He careful removing the copper pipe from the pump housing. The rubber grommet can grab extremely tight so patience and work it. You also need to make sure the copper water tube line up to the pump housing again.

Thank you very much for the help. I'm doing everything I can to keep from turning it in to a shop and it's finally supposed to warm up here this week so I'm going kinda crazy. I'll get on it as soon as I get home from work. Thanks, again. Really appreciate the help.

A big THANKS to Kim & Scott! I can't thank you both enough for all the help and advice. I'm sure this work was routine for you guys but this is the first time I've ever worked on an outboard. Just the thought of taking it apart was very intimidating but, with your help I got the Merc back together last night and with the exception of what I'm guessing is a little carb work(rough idle), she's running pretty good and the water is flowing in & out. I'm heading out this week to try to net some shad for the catfish season, I guess we'll see if she'll stay true. Not sure where you guys live but if you're ever in the northern Illinois/southern Wisconsin area, I owe you beer & BBQ. No BS, hit me up for sure. Thanks again, surely appreciated.

Back