Logo

Delco electronic ignition kit 22752

Philipper2

I have overhauled both my 1988 Crusader 454 engines and I’m looking at replacing original ignition system with Delco electronic ignition kit 22752. Is anyone running their engines with these upgraded ignition kits and are there any issues with them. I have been told that some of these kits are after market kits supplied by Mallory/Sierra and are troublesome.
Any suggested options?

If your running points just replace the points and condensers. Set the point gap with a dwell tach and then check/adjust base timing. Not worth the money in my opinion. How many years have the points worked just fine? If you want electronic go with new distributors?

I have overhauled both my 1988 Crusader 454 engines and I’m looking at replacing original ignition system with Delco electronic ignition kit 22752. Is anyone running their engines with these upgraded ignition kits and are there any issues with them. I have been told that some of these kits are after market kits supplied by Mallory/Sierra and are troublesome.
Any suggested options?

If you go with an electronic conversion "Kit", you will be using your old housings, shafts, bushings, driven gears and advancing systems.
If you do this, I would suggest that you take your existing distributors in to someone who owns and operates an old school Sun, Allen or King distributor machine and have the bushings replaced, and have the advance curves verified.

I would also suggest that you mark off your balancers up to approx 35* BTDC so that you can check the Progressive and Total Advance.
This will allow you to compare your actual numbers with the OEM curve graph data.

The 22752 kit is supposed to have a complete DELCO EST voyager ignition system for a GM V-8 block...If it has the DELCO parts, they behave ok as they were standard equipment for a long while. I personally don't they they are the best as there is no adjustment of the timing curve (it is programmed into the module when there is no ECU used). If you look around, you should still be able to find a new delco kit without having to pay the premium for have crusader package it.

Sierra has their own version of a Mallory 624 replacement and that is a different beast....I believe they also make their own version of the EST system as well. Personally, I am not impressed with the Sierra brand since the recent acquisition....

You may want to consider DUI (Davis Unified Ignition). They are HEI and connect with one wire. They are mechanical advance (which I prefer). I have been running them for 3 years on my rebuilt 1986 454s and have performed well.

Back