Logo

305k slight oily sheen, deal breaker?

xluke

Hello, I'm looking at possibly buying a older Chris Craft with 305 engines, the one engine though running well, with normal oil pressure is, is producing a slight oily Sheen behind the engine. It did not stop even when the engines were warm. It is very minor, but noticeably different than the other side. Is this something that is likely to be an easy fix like carburetor or spark plugs, or is this an indicator of a bigger problem? There are not a lot of hours on the engine, less than 350 hours. They seem to run great, start easily, not much smoke. I appreciate the advice!

I chatted with the mechanic who has been maintaining her for some time. He suggested that this is an annual occurrence after fogging the engine (this was the first time they were run since winterizing) and half-idiling the engines just wasn't enough to blow it out. This sounded reasonable to me...but I still perceive some risk?

maybe...but it shouldn't persist for a long time.....once its gone on one side, the other should follow....if not, there is an issue

is the sheen due to oil or fuel? fuel is usually accompanied by an odor and the 'slick' is easy to move around....could be the choke isn't set correct to the carb is in need of an overhaul....an oil induced sheen is usually persistent and won't go away until the root cause is fixed...

Back