Logo

v4 115 drive shaft snapped off under water pump

FstaRockr Burns

Regular Contributor
Hi all.. got a 115 v4 (80s?) outboard. Drive shaft snapped off under water pump.

Does the bearing carrier have to come out to replace it? From the manual it seems so yes, in order to get to the nut that locks on the gear from inside - just checking if it can be avoided perhaps

Yes the bearing carrier needs to come out.------you will need to shim the pinion gear on the replacement driveshaft.-----That is if the gears are still good.

My toon did this several years ago just riding up lake.....snapped right where seals run. Suspect harmonics,load and new seals ,groove in shaft had all to play in failure.

Normally when you have a clean, even break it comes from high impact. A rough, jagged break comes from misalignment.

37 years ago a fellow called me and said " was getting on plane and motor kicked into neutral "-----I said----" likely a broken driveshaft "-----He drove 1/2 hr and saw the clean break , just like it had been cut with a knife.------Always brought me some treats like moose roast whenever motor work was needed after that episode !

Back