Logo

Clinton Outboard. 3.5 hp, getting it to stay running

JordanB

Hello, i have a Clinton outboard engine that i can not keep running. i can get it started and it will idle great, no problems, but if i give it a little throttle it wants to pop and "miss" and it will cause it to die. but if you rev it up high enough, it will stay running but the rmps go up and down like crazy. the engine has been sitting for about 7 years, but i ran some carb cleaner and seafoam through it, and no luck or even a small change in performance. it would run at half throttle, but would get away from me and rev high on its own, but it doesnt have a governor, so it wouldnt be a problem with that. i tryed to get it started one evening and it was a little dark out. on the front plate to the crankcase, there is a clear plastic connector piece that the diaphragm connect to. and right when it missed(per say) i seen an orange glow, and in the day if you look at it, you can see almost a shock. i checked to see if it was grounding issues, but some people say that even if it was it wouldnt do that. if i find whats causing that orange glow/ spark, i think i have the problem, does anybody haven any ideas what it might be?

Do you have pics of the part? The only way to properly clean a carb is by taking it apart. And soaking in carb cleaner overnight. Then install a kit after blasting with high pressure water an follow up with air.

kimcrwb1, well that is the thing. i cant find a carb kit for it, and if i dont have to take it apart, the better. and the flash i am seeing would be inside the crankcase, and seeing it by that plastic connector piece (dont believe that piece is the problem). so do you think that it is a carb problem, or a grounding or other issue. i can try to get pictures tonight

Back