Logo

Replacing gimble ring and bell housing help.

Hi I have a Alpha 1 Gen 2 later style where the shift cable unscrews from the aft of the bell housing..I'm replacing my gimble ring and bell housing,pretty sure i understand the whole repair procedure but I'm not sure about what to do about the shift cable?
Do I have to disconnect the the shift cable from the engine and pull the whole thing through the bell housing before I remove the bell housing?
Thanks,Bill

You either remove the cable with the housing or you remove the shift cable first, then the housing.
BUT before you do leave a inner solid core from a control cable in its place to act as a guide.

Okay thanks,so I remove the cable housing and tape a old inner cable to it as I pull it through from the rear to use to it pull the new cable back through? Thanks again,Bill

Ayuh,...... Or just pull out the inner cable, feed it down through from inside the boat,....
Then go 'n pull the outer casin', out with the bell,.....

Goin' back together,....
The inner cable can be use to guide the new outer cable in,.....

You get a old control cable core, it`s solid SS wire.You remove your inner shift cable and insert the core. Next remove the shift cable outer core leaving the control cable core in its place.
To reinstall the cable pass the SS core thru the shift cable casing and vise grip it at where it comes out the white plastic end.
While pulling the SS core and pushing the shift cable ,pull cable back into place.

You get a old control cable core, it`s solid SS wire.You remove your inner shift cable and insert the core. Next remove the shift cable outer core leaving the control cable core in its place.
To reinstall the cable pass the SS core thru the shift cable casing and vise grip it at where it comes out the white plastic end.
While pulling the SS core and pushing the shift cable ,pull cable back into place.

Ok Thanks for the help

Back