Logo

Engine Mounts vs Alignment

Mark S.

Contributing Member
2002 5.0 MPI, A1 G2. I'm seeking an opinion on my situation. My engine is leaning to port. To be honest I'm a bit embarressed that I've never noticed this being the original owner of the boat. One look at the engine mounts reveals why. The stringers look strong. I see no evidence of them being deteriorated. I've always DIY'd the smaller maintenance items, impeller changes, oil changes etc. but I've never gotten into engine alignment. When I recently pulled the drive it came out very easily and all splines, coupler and drive shaft, look good. Flat ridges, no needles. So I believe alignment is very good even with the lean. I have an alignment tool but I haven't been able to use it yet (boat is stored 1.5 hrs. from the house). My starboard elbow is running quite a bit hotter than the port. I believe the lean is a strong contributor to this problem. This also lead me to having to pick the remnants of my starboard shutters out of the outdrive. So my question is this: given how well it appears to be aligned at present, is leveling the engine and re-aligning worth the risk? My fear is, given the age of the mounts, I won't be able to get it re-aligned. I'd rather not get into pulling the engine. below are pics of the port mounts. I appreciate any input.

Attachments

• DSCN3100.jpg
    DSCN3100.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN3104.jpg
    DSCN3104.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 137
I suppose you could add a turn or two to the low side and remove a turn or two from the high side without messing anything up.

Fairly safe bet.

Jeff

I don't understand why it's cockeyed. Is it sitting on the bottom of the bilge? The rear mounts where the bell housing lands on the inner transom should be bottomed out, even and the bolts tight. Is that the case? If they are, then the forward mounts should also be even. What I'm sayin is that the adjustment is mainly up down, a little bit side to side and not rotational. Sumpthin' ain't right.

2002 5.0 MPI, A1 G2. I'm seeking an opinion on my situation. My engine is leaning to port. To be honest I'm a bit embarressed that I've never noticed this being the original owner of the boat. One look at the engine mounts reveals why. The stringers look strong. I see no evidence of them being deteriorated. I've always DIY'd the smaller maintenance items, impeller changes, oil changes etc. but I've never gotten into engine alignment.
You are the original owner since 2002 and you perform your own maintenance.
An engine coupler alignment check should be part of your maintenance schedule!

When I recently pulled the drive it came out very easily and all splines, coupler and drive shaft, look good. Flat ridges, no needles. So I believe alignment is very good even with the lean. I have an alignment tool but I haven't been able to use it yet (boat is stored 1.5 hrs. from the house).
I would suggest that you learn how to use it.

My starboard elbow is running quite a bit hotter than the port. I believe the lean is a strong contributor to this problem.
I highly doubt that.
If the exhaust components are original, they are close to 16 years old. You most likely have a restriction that needs to be cleared.

This also lead me to having to pick the remnants of my starboard shutters out of the outdrive. So my question is this: given how well it appears to be aligned at present,
How did you determine that it appears to be aligned at present?

is leveling the engine and re-aligning worth the risk?
The risk is in having let it go this long and perhaps not taking care of it now. My fear is, given the age of the mounts, I won't be able to get it re-aligned.
As long as the 4 adjusting nuts move up/down, you will be able to at least adjust the side engine mounts.

I'd rather not get into pulling the engine.
If you loose the drive coupler splines (due to misalignment), you will be pulling the engine for a replacement.

This image will help explain the goal when performing a gimbal suspension system drive coupler alignment.

Attachments

• Drive Coupler alignment explained 4.jpg
    Drive Coupler alignment explained 4.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 153
  • Drive Coupler alignment explained 5.jpg
    Drive Coupler alignment explained 5.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 177
I agree with o2batsea.

The flywheel cover (bellhousing in the auto world) mounting ears will rest fully on the corresponding inner transom unit mounting ears.

This controls side-to-side alignment.

The front/side engine mounts will be adjusted up/down to complete the alignment.
(see my images in post #5)

I noticed the tabs on the front mounts were not bent down. Is it possible it vibrated into this position over time and by some miracle stayed aligned?

That's what I was afraid of. So if I try to straighten things up with the front mounts what's the likely scenario?

Ayuh,.... Unless you replace the junk rear mount, there's No way in 'ell it can be aligned,...... Period,....

If you're not willing or able to make a proper repair now........, you may as well continue running this boat until you have a catastrophic failure!

My boat is now in the shop getting the rear mounts repaired. I’m having them align it but I’m betting I’m going to be more picky than them. Can anyone tell me what size wrench I’ll need on the front mounts to tweak the alignment?

My boat is now in the shop getting the rear mounts repaired. I’m having them align it but I’m betting I’m going to be more picky than them. Can anyone tell me what size wrench I’ll need on the front mounts to tweak the alignment?

Mark, these guys are the professionals..... or at least they should be!
I would leave the alignment to them.

Suggestion:
While the drive is removed, ask if they have the ability to look at the internal coupler splines via a bore scope!

Back