Logo

Mercury Tri Lobe For Tilt Ram fitting

UKMike

Contributing Member
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to fit these Tri Lobes into the upper tilt shaft? The pin is oval and not circular, the shaft hole is circular? Do I need to hammer the n in?

Regards
UKMike

Hi guys,

I anyone able t help? I tried to punch the old one out but it won't budge, can anyone advise how to get this Tri lobe pin out?

I really would appreciate some advice, does it punch toward the bow or stern?

Attachments

• IMG_0499.jpg
    IMG_0499.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 98
Hi guys,

I anyone able t help? I tried to punch the old one out but it won't budge, can anyone advise how to get this Tri lobe pin out?

I really would appreciate some advice, does it punch toward the bow or stern?

someone as told me that I need to BASH the main pin out from the starboard side with a 6KG hammer to cut the tri lobe pin in half? Any views?

someone as told me that I need to BASH the main pin out from the starboard side with a 6KG hammer to cut the tri lobe pin in half? Any views?

I'm really shocked that not a single person can advise on this, the Mercury is an American Trojan engine and someone must have needed to remove a tri lobe pin on a v6 135 Black Max before.....

I'm really shocked that not a single person can advise on this, the Mercury is an American Trojan engine and someone must have needed to remove a tri lobe pin on a v6 135 Black Max before.....

I think that you should unscrew the small screw in the middle of the axe. Put something down to your engine to prevent to go down and put the titl & trim a little down. then the axe would be free to put out.
What model is your engine???
May i have a question for you...
I hope to help you!

Hi Steve,

Tank for the response, it doesn't have a screw, it has a tri lobe pin which hammered into the centre pin from the rear, I have tried to punch it out but it wont budge someone told me to use a 6lb+ hammer and smash it out from the starboard side but I'm worried that will damage the tilt ram core.

Belt the pin with a punch,it should go backwards as there is no end,I know them as roll pins.They are a spring steel.
Support the engine and the center pin should knock out easy enough.It would take a lot of brute strength to break it by hitting the center pin.

Thanks, I did raise the engine and support the leg but it wasn't budging, do you think dropping the engine down using the motor while on the support will release enough pressure, I am guessing that I might have tilted it l the way up and it might be under pressure. I will give it another go an thanks for the help.

You need to get a good sharp slap on that roll pin with a punch,or if you can get in at it with a lump hammer.It will move or break.When it is out the center pin will knock out easy,when the engine is propped up,the pressure is off the pin.There shouldn't be,but check for a circ-clip on the inside of the center pin,upper shaft as they call it in the parts diagram.

Back