Logo

Lower unit bolts

whaler_warner

Contributing Member
Maybe a stupid question so apologies! however are the bolts holding the lower unit on just straightforward marine grade stainless? My lower unit was held on with x4 metric sized bolt heads and x2 imperial (weird) and all were showing signs of being rounded by previous attempts to remove so I was planning to replace them all with marine grade stainless bolts but just wanted to check in case? TIA

Its an M90a, actually transpires some of the bolts were so rounded off managed to get one off with a imperial socket and the other with some moles grips but the bolts are not re-useable.

I have ordered M8 x 35mm 316 Stainless bolts but wanted to check these would be correct or whether they are factory ones are a hardened steel of some sort.

Not a great day for me as having removed the lower unit last night (outboard bolted to a stand) the whole lot toppled over onto the concrete floor with me left holding the LU, I could have cried! luckily it looks like just the airbox took the impact and the alloy back section has shattered but repairable.

Take the nolts to your local hardware store and properly ID the thread size and pitch or just order the OEM bolts using the part numbers!

Back