Logo

OMC remote key bypass

Larry Robbins

I bought a boat with a Evinrude E40 EL CR motor. There is no key for the remote control unit. I want to bypass the key with an ignition switch and a momentary starter switch. I'm looking for wiring color codes and how to wire other items such as the primer circuit. I would also be glad if I could use the switch operated by the key cylinder without key. I'm attaching a pic of the model of RC. TIA for help, Larry

yRC pic copy.jpg

That would be a lot of work.----Open up the box , see if you can find the number of the switch.----Order a key.------Why was there no key ?-----Sometimes the seller uses that ploy to sell a motor with problems.

Why was there no key ?

He said he lost the key. Everything else is as represented and we wrote a refund or adjustment in the bill of sale. He was going to fix it, but I wanted to get it done with little delay. I will open it up and see if I can get a number for replacement. Thanks for quick reply.

If that doesn't work, then next option would be to replace the switch with a new one (w/ key)...if you want to relocate things, you'll need another switch for the primer function...the schematic should e in the service manual...

I took the RC case off the bulkhead and took the 3 case bolts out, decided to not rush into opening the box in case of disturbing sprung stuff...The local OMC guy was sick today. Stopped by a locksmith who, after a while, offered to impress a blank to get the keyway pattern. He said about 70% success with failure being non-destructive, said cost for first key and try would be $30. If the OMC guy doesn't have a good solution, I'd prefer not to disassemble the case to remove the key cylinder. The controls move very smoothly, the previous owner over greased everything.

Look real closely at the ignition switch where the key goes in. You should find a number on it. Take that number to any OMC dealer and he should be able to find a key for you.

I removed the old switch, did not find a number, chose a sierra replacement for quick delivery, installed it with some difficulty due to short wiring harness to switch, reassembled. All good for a $20 part (+ a couple of hours). Lesson learned: hook up the shortest hardest to make connections first. Thanks to all for suggestions.

Back