Logo

Idle Adjustment 1982 15 HP

flyfishn

I have a 1982 15HP Evinrude, I am replacing a broken Idle knob and screw. What is a good starting point for adjustment. Not sure how far out i need to screw it in.

Thank you

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 10.37.04 PM.jpg

That is the idle SPEED adjustment.----Not a mixture adjustment.----Set it where you are happy with the trolling speed you like or set it so it does not stall when motor is put into forward

Go to leeroys ramblings he has lots of good infor for your motor. If you know a good machinist you can rework the idle control knob to work better or just buy a new one if you can find one. They do wear out quite common!

flyfishn, on your motor the adjustment is as follow:
Screw needle all the way until it gently meets its seat, then pull it out one and a half turn.
From this point on, with the motor idling, adjust to where the RPM's are the highest and the motor runs the smoothest, by turning the needle (not more than a quarter turn at a time) one way or the other.
After you apply a quarter turn, allow a few seconds (10 or 15) for the motor to respond to the new adjustment.

Screw needle all the way until it gently meets its seat, then pull it out one and a half turn.
From this point on, with the motor idling, adjust to where the RPM's are the highest and the motor runs the smoothest, by turning the needle (not more than a quarter turn at a time) one way or the other.
After you apply a quarter turn, allow a few seconds (10 or 15) for the motor to respond to the new adjustment.

The OP is talking about the idle adjuster on the side of the motor not the low speed mix on the carb.

That’s for mixture adjustment, not idle speed adjustment. Good info though.

Back