Logo

volvo 4.3 , ignition switch , wiring diagram

frenchy greg

hallo

i know that omc cobra has the "esa" . if i remenber well : it cuts ignition when we push the clutch.

on volvo sx = is there a similar circuit or not ??? how does the ignition is managed when i push the clutch

i only see a switch for the neutral , and if i understand well : even i turn the key for start and i m not in neutral = nothing comes ! is ti right

thank you

greg

but for omc cobra there is a micro switch on ignition for forward (and same for reverse ) like thaht there s no rough clutch .

volvo sx has a similar system or not ?

why i ask tis question:

my windy 22 has a shot v8 omc .

the plate on the hull is = omc

the leg (drive ) is a volvo sx = ratio 1.51 , nuber are ok for volvo product

to replace the broken v8 and i have a v6 4.3 gla for sx drive and is harness .

Last edited:
Frenchy Greg, if you are referring to the OMC Cobra drive, that was a Dog Clutch drive.
The ESA was required in order to regain "neutral" from either FWD or REV.

Volvo Penta has used the Cone Clutch exclusively!
No ESA, SA or SI is required!

The neutral safety switch is for an entirely different purpose.
When working as it should, it prevents starter motor operation in the event that the drive would be in either FWD or REV!

Last edited:
If your asking can you use that drive for the 4.3 the answer is no you will not be able to prop it down for the correct WOT rpm. It sounds like your talking about the shift interupt switches for the OMC it makes the engine stumble so it shifts smooth. You can test the neutral start switch just jump the two yellow wires going to it together but be careful it can start in gear.

I now see that you have several questions to ask.

hallo

i know that omc cobra has the "esa" . if i remenber well : it cuts ignition when we push the clutch.
First off..... I don't know what you mean by "push the clutch"!

And again, if you are referring to the OMC Cobra Dog Clutch drive, the ESA's (electronic shift assist) function is to stumble the engine's ignition system during a shift FROM gear back into Neutral.
In other words....... it is to Assist when coming FROM gear back into Neutral while the boat is in the water with the engine operating.
Just to be clear...... the ESA does not assist in a shift from Neutral INTO gear!

on volvo sx = is there a similar circuit or not ???
NO....... with the Volvo Penta cone clutch, this is no longer necessary.

how does the ignition is managed when i push the clutch
Again, what does "push the clutch" mean?
Are you speaking of "gear engagement"?

i only see a switch for the neutral ,
That switch would be your "Neutral Safety Switch" .
As said, when working correctly, it will interrupt the starter motor's solenoid circuit UNLESS the shift unit is in Neutral.
This prevents engine start-up while in either FWD or REV.

and if i understand well : even i turn the key for start and i m not in neutral = nothing comes ! is ti right
That is by design!

my windy 22 has a shot v8 omc .
the plate on the hull is = omc

the leg (drive ) is a volvo sx = ratio 1.51 , nuber are ok for volvo product

to replace the broken v8 and i have a v6 4.3 gla for sx drive and is harness .

OK..... in a small boat like this..... a 4.3L V-6 could replace a 5.7L V-8 and yet allow the use of the same 1.61:1 stern drive.
However, your current final drive reduction is 1.51:1.
This taller 1.51:1 ratio may over-burden the 4.3L engine.

Last edited:
not easy :) sorry
i undertsand what you say

when i say "push the clutch" = to make the propeller turn (forward or back )
i uderstand and know esa .

so , if i well understand = with my new v6 4.3 , i don t need to do anything on my volvo electric harness (just throw away the old omc harness)

another way to ask the queston : how an engine omc with esa runs well with a volvo leg ???????

and the boat wad running well (i ve seen it) , before it eats seawater by exhaust during a tempest !

If the boat is a 1994 or later, you will have a Volvo Penta Cone Clutch stern drive..... even if the transom unit has an OMC label on it.
(the OMC Dog Clutch drive was out of production by end of 1993)

If the previous 5.7L engine harness is good, you may be able to use it on the 4.3L engine.

And again, the Volvo Penta cone clutch stern drive does NOT require the ESA.

Depending on the weight of hull, deadrise of hull, the V6 may be under powered. Additionally, as posted above, V6 and V8 engines usually require different reduction ratios to match to a correct prop size.

Last edited:
Back