Logo

1962 Merc 500 50 hp timing issue

Gatineau

This motor ran fine for 2 yrs but then started cutting out after starting. The only mechanic in my area who knows anything about merc motors of this era says it is the points and they are no longer fileable. Coil problem has been ruled out. Have been unable to locate dist cap in my area. Any idea if he is correct and if so where I might locate one. I have this motor on a 56 Feathercraft. Nice set up. I would hate to scrap the motor for this issue.

Parts are still available used but even then you will need to give up your first born. Have you done a compression test? Do a thorough diag before you spend any money that includes the gearbox and shafts.

Likely it is the points gap that has closed up from wear on the rubbing block.----Easy fix is to clean the points and gap them at 0.010"-----Parts are easy to find !----What is your location ?

Compression at 130 per cyl. Like I said, it ran great for 2015 & 2016. Nice sound, like a Harley in idle but then went South. I bought it in 2014 and believe I am only the 3rd owner. After buying it,the fuel pump was rebuilt,+ a carb kit. magneto was cleaned etc.Gearbox,shafts etc.were good.

Thanks. Unfortunately I am not a motorhead and have to relie on advice/repairs from others. The mecanic who has worked on this problem is in his 80's and appears to be famiiar with these old Mercs. What do you think he meant by saying he cant file the points anymore? Closet major city to me is Ottawa,Can

I have used parts here in Ontario.-----Maybe even a new set of points.---Several white 4 cylinder mercs for parts too.

Back