Logo

Trim and tilt question

Dman16

Hello I'm new to the forum been in the boat troubleshooting for 2 days. Now I'm at a stand still.

So I got a 1978 alpha 1 gen 1 single solenoid trim and tilt system the trim goes up perfectly no issues when I push the Down button it turns very slowly and comes to a halt after about 2 inches of lowering then does. Nothing

I cleaned all the connections on the relay still the same thing it seems like a dirty terminal to me but could it be in the hydraulic systems itself?? My next move I think I'm going to let the fluid out of the rams and see if it goes all the way down any suggestions would be helpful thanks..

1978 alpha 1 gen 1

Ayuh,..... The Alpha 1 didn't come out til '83/ '84,..... You've got a MC-1,....

It sounds to me, like the motor on the trim pump might be failin',.....
If that's the case, get a new style pump, 'n delete the reverse-lock in the return line that's there now,....

Ayuh,..... The Alpha 1 didn't come out til '83/ '84,..... You've got a MC-1,....

Since we're talking outdrives. Does the mc1 look like the alpha 1 because I have been researching it for a month now and everything says it's a alpha 1. I was just assuming they had been replaced prior to me owning it??

MC1,Alpha1 will use 5 nuts, Alpha 1 GEN II uses 2 nuts and bolts on each side, and 1 bolt in the front.
trim motor has 2 windings, 1 up ,1 down

Since we're talking outdrives. Does the mc1 look like the alpha 1 because I have been researching it for a month now and everything says it's a alpha 1. I was just assuming they had been replaced prior to me owning it??

Ayuh,.... The MC-1 has the round "Eye" on the top cap, the Alphas are flat top,......

The drive itself may well be an Alpha drive,..... They interchange with the MC-1s,.....

Yer transom assembly, 'n everything else, besides the drive itself are MC-1, unless someone completely refitted the hull,.....

Alright that makes sense because I have no I hook on the top. I tried looking up serial numbers it looks like a alpha 1 but serial numbers are prior to alpha so that makes sense thanks

Back